Iced Earth: Horror Show

Originally posted by JayKeeley
...which is particularly ironic since Iced Earth are not Power Metal. And they NEVER have been. If you had to categorize them, they would probably fall around the "speed/thrash" metric.

P.S. Horror Show is their worst album. It doesn't make it bad, but it's definitely at the bottom of the pile - waaaay beneath Dark Saga and Something Wicked.

I call Iced Earth simply ' Heavy Metal', and I have to disagree about the albums.. although the material is absolutly amazing, Stormrider and Iced Earth would go at the bottom of my pile, simply because the production and the vocals! :puke:, thank god for Days Of Purgatory in my opinion, and even more so, Dark Genesis, although I dont have the DG box yet :mad:

My best Iced Earth is still the Dark saga. Horror Show have their good moments ,but lacks the depth of the dark saga and their last album.

Originally posted by GuardianInFlames
Yes god damn this was a horrible album! I listened to it about twice.......They should go back to Burnt Offerings that is by far their best album in my opinion!

I honestly think that you kicked the chair out from under the album, thus hanging it before you really gave it a good chance. Listening to an album twice is just not enough. Perhaps I take it to far but listening to a new album is like sipping whine for flavor and emotion. It took me ALONG time to like Something wicked, and I did not get into the album until I saw them live. Not trying to be a dick just saying to give new albums alittle more credit.

_sat

Originally posted by satanistical
I honestly think that you kicked the chair out from under the album, thus hanging it before you really gave it a good chance. Listening to an album twice is just not enough. Perhaps I take it to far but listening to a new album is like sipping whine for flavor and emotion. It took me ALONG time to like Something wicked, and I did not get into the album until I saw them live. Not trying to be a dick just saying to give new albums alittle more credit.

_sat

Likewise, I could not understand the fuss about Iced Earth until I saw them live. That experience changed my views on their CDs - I really got into Something Wicked and Dark Saga, but I didn't like the production on Burnt Offerings etc at all.

And Horror Show is shit - let's face it, there are two or three good songs on it, but for the most part it is bollocks. Jon Schaffer does start to sound a bit monotonous after a while - he needs some inspiration (which probably explains why Demons and Wizards is so majestic with the added 'Hansi Kursch' influence).

The best Iced Earth on CD is Alive in Athens (3 disc version). That's all you need really if you're not a devoted fan.

I like Horror Show a lot, it's interesting how they managed to write the songs according to their themes. The result sounds great IMHO.

Some of the songs are not excellent, but others like Damien and Jackyl and Hyde are fucking great.

"Horror Show" is, without doubt, THE most disappointing album in the last 5 years!!!...yeah, sure, it's conceptually cool...BUT it's BORE-fukken-ING!!. It's a toss up which will put me to sleep quicker...listening to to this drivel or skolling a bottle of rum. Damn shame after the sheer brilliance of EVERYTHING they'd done previously. L8rz Iced Earth, was nice knowin ya..."Something Wicked" was always gonna be hard to top, but THIS?...gawd!...[anyone wanna buy a cheap CD?]

I liked Horror Show a lot. It didn't seem as heartfelt as all their other albums but it was still good I think. Heres my rating on the songs:

Wolf: 4/5

Damian: 5/5

Jack: 4/5

Ghost of Freedom: 3/5

Im-Ho-Tep: 1/5 (the worst song on the album, I think)

Jeckyl & Hyde: 4/5

Dragon's Child: 4/5

Transylvania: 3/5

Frankenstein: 3/5 (but I still like it)

Dracula: 5/5

The Phantom Opera Ghost: 5/5

A lot of the album sounds so similar, though...

Richard Christy's excellent drumming definitely made the sound different, but it's like he's doing straight sixteenths on the bass drum all the time, and it got old.

And one Barlow was enough. Hearing him multitracked 50 times was something I abhorred beyond belief.

Anyone know how many of the blue vinyl were pressed for this album? I can't find it on century media or Iced Earth's websites.

Thanks

Horror Show is one of the best Power Metal albums period.

Also, Iced Earth's last album disappointed me more than anything ever has in my life. (I'm not kidding either.)

"Horror Show" is, without doubt, THE most disappointing album in the last 5 years!!!...yeah, sure, it's conceptually cool...BUT it's BORE-fukken-ING!!. It's a toss up which will put me to sleep quicker...listening to to this drivel or skolling a bottle of rum. Damn shame after the sheer brilliance of EVERYTHING they'd done previously. L8rz Iced Earth, was nice knowin ya..."Something Wicked" was always gonna be hard to top, but THIS?...gawd!...[anyone wanna buy a cheap CD?]

how can you even say that? They are probably the only band to do something like THAT. let alone a power metal band.

i didnt think horror show was that great either, but its hard to write your best material when your stuck on writing the same theme for each song . Jon writes his best music when he can write about any topic that comes to mind.

Ive lived to see the fall of metallica and the decline of megadeth over the past few years.....iced earth hasnt dissapointed me yet

umm.... metallica OR megadeth havent declined. People still listen to them as much as when they were big. and Jason Becker has been going solo... so they never really died. :) but true, iced earth doesnt dissapoint.