Iced Earth: Horror Show

DaysOfPurgutory2

The Grand Design
Jul 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that Horror Show by IE was a dissapointment, i mean it didnt have the hype or potential that Something Wicked This Way Comes and Night Of The Stormrider had. Some of the guitar notes from the song Damien are taken off of the Demons and Wizards song Heaven Denies (and i know that its Schaffers material).....
i would prefer downloading some of the songs from it before actually buying it....but what the hell, its a descent release because its Iced Earth!!!

Rating (out of 5): 3.5

1) Wolf 3/5

2) Damien 5/5

3) Jack 3/5

4) Ghost Of Freedom 5/5

5) Im-Ho-Tep (Pharaohs's Curse) 1/5

6) Jeckyl And Hyde 3/5

7) Dragons Child 4/5

8) Transylvania 3/5

9) Frankenstein 3/5

10) Dracula 5/5

11) The Phantom Opera Ghost 5/5

*Their are only a few really good songs, so download the songs that i put down as 5/5*

i didnt think horror show was that great either, but its hard to write your best material when your stuck on writing the same theme for each song . Jon writes his best music when he can write about any topic that comes to mind.

Ive lived to see the fall of metallica and the decline of megadeth over the past few years.....iced earth hasnt dissapointed me yet

I liked "Horror Show" a lot. "Wolf" is one of my fave tunes off of it - great energy there. Jon Schaffer has repeatedly stated that he didn't care for "Burnt Offerings". I liked it. I personally think that it had a pervasive Metallica influence on it, to the point of being overly derivative. I think that may be one of the reason's why Jon isn't so fond of it. Irregardless, "Burnt Offerings" gets a work out on my CD player...

Listen I'll be the first to say Iced Earth OOZES talent..but I REALLY loathe this band..Steve is a KILLER bassist and the guitar work is beyond killer..but I HATE the vocals..cannot stand them. I own Something Wicked...and I NEVER listen to it..and I'd heard so many great and wonderful things..I really wish I could like this band. Plus I hate how their singer thinks Death, Black, Gore, and Grind are all dead forms of metal and that power metal is taking over..the only thing I can to say about that is..BULL SHIT!

I think Horror Show is a great album!!! It was the first Iced Earth album I owned ( I've only found out about them in like november).
I thought it was amazing the first listen through, I think I listened to it about 4 or 5 times straight through in a row!! It's classic Iced Earth in my opinion... not too different from the older stuff.. but still has its own feel. Wolf, being the first track, was the first Iced Earth song I heard, and it grabbed me, and never let me go, a great song in my opinion. All great tracks really!! Thier cover of Transylvania kills!!! :headbang:

:lol: I agree that Im-Ho-Tep (Pharaohs's Curse) isn't such a great song. But I do think that Horror Show is a pretty good CD. Defiantley not one of their best though. It seems like they are afraid to change their sound because they dont want to be betrayed by their fans. So the result is songs that kind of sounds recycled from past songs. Alot of people porbably disagree that Horror Show sounds like past albums but I think it does, not in a good way though. In the positive side, I think Wolf, Damien, Jack, Ghost of Freedom, Dragons Child, Frankenstein and The Phantom Opera Ghost all kick ass!

Horror Show was my first IE album and I think it´s
a pretty good album. Some of the stuff is maybe little bit boring but it doesn´t really matter

I didn't like Horror show.I remember when i saw them on tour and they played 3 sets ,the last set had horror show songs and i wanted to leave!I was bored until they started the old tunes again :)
Dark Saga rulez!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by GuardianInFlames
Yes god damn this was a horrible album! I listened to it about twice.......They should go back to Burnt Offerings that is by far their best album in my opinion!

I dont think that "Horror Show" was there best album but it certainly didn't suck... It was a bit simpler than there last albums, but the performance and songwriting is still great. Now as for Burnt Offerings, I think that it is one of Iced Earth's weaker albums. Of course there are classics such as the title track and "Dante's Inferno" but overall I dont think it was one of their better efforts. Even Jon himself said that he isn't very proud of that album and that he feels he should have done better. Night of the Storm Rider, Dark Saga, and Something Wicked are my favorites.

I actually really liked Horror show since I am a horror fan it was pretty cool. Something wicked imo was not that great. It sounded 100000 times better live then the studio release. Can't wait to here the new one next year.

-Sat

I had some mixed feeling about Horror Show when it came out. First I had some problems with it, but it keept growing on me until it became my favorite IE-album. But after a short time I got bored with it and now I feel that they could have done it a lot better! Specally the lyrics! But songs like "Damien", "Dracula" and "Phantom Opera Ghost" is some real asskickers! And then they also are some other desent song but "Burnt Offerings" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" is still my favorit IE-albums!
Hope they do better with their next album

Originally posted by Soilent Goat
...Plus I hate how their singer thinks Death, Black, Gore, and Grind are all dead forms of metal and that power metal is taking over..the only thing I can to say about that is..BULL SHIT!

...which is particularly ironic since Iced Earth are not Power Metal. And they NEVER have been. If you had to categorize them, they would probably fall around the "speed/thrash" metric.

P.S. Horror Show is their worst album. It doesn't make it bad, but it's definitely at the bottom of the pile - waaaay beneath Dark Saga and Something Wicked.