ICED EARTH NEWS: A Tour of China!

PurpleCrayonWriter

Just a Kid at Heart
Hey Y'all,

Here's a bit of news that's probably not directly related to any of us here in the States. But it's cool news for Iced Earth fans in another very large country. :)

Thanks for reading this.

Cheers,

Bill

ICED EARTH FOUNDER TO FANS IN CHINA: “GET READY TO RAGE WITH US!”

To say that Dystopia, Iced Earth’s 10th studio album, has opened doors would be an understatement. Not only has the album been a runaway favorite of critics and fans (both old and new) alike, it has taken the band to new countries on the most far-reaching tour in its 25-year history. Next up: China.

"The World Dystopia Tour has taken Iced Earth to places the band has never been before,” said Iced Earth founder and mastermind Jon Schaffer. “We are about to open yet another exciting chapter in touring by announcing our first-ever shows in China. Playing Beijing and Shanghai is something we have been looking forward to for a long time. Chinese metal heads: get ready to rage with us!!”

CHINA April 2012

11 SHANGHAI MAO LIVE HOUSE
13 BEIJING STAR LIVE

Released October 2011 via Century Media Records, Dystopia debuted at #67 on the Billboard Top 200 chart and has since received rave reviews from fans and critics alike. Revolver named Dystopia one of the 20 Best Albums of 2011 and declared, “Twenty years after releasing their self-titled debut, this Florida fivesome has never sounded better.”

Iced Earth’s North American co-headline tour with Symphony X is now underway. It concludes March 11 in Clifton Park, New York. At that point, Iced Earth plays five more dates without Symphony X. (All concert dates listed on the band's Tour page.)

huh...I haven't really heard anything about bands at this level playing in China, but it looks like it's (becoming?) fairly common. Kind of a surprising group Western bands with upcoming gigs at Shanghai's Mao Live House though:

Iced Earth (ok)
Lamb of God (ok)
Dark Tranquillity (ok)
Lake of Tears (huh?)
Lacrimas Profundere (huh?)

and my personal favorite: Shine On You Crazy Prostate

I wonder if bands are contractually obligated to remove any songs from their setlists (such as half of 'Dystopia' in the case of Iced Earth?)

Neil

huh...I haven't really heard anything about bands at this level playing in China, but it looks like it's (becoming?) fairly common. Kind of a surprising group Western bands with upcoming gigs at Shanghai's Mao Live House though:

Actually you'd be surprised at how many bands do Chinese tours. Now, in Iced Earth's case, the promoters for the dates had to have covered all the band's expenses + pay the band a reasonable fee as well in order for them to justify doing this. However, I've heard many, many stories about small, even unsigned bands going to China as tourists, doing 2 weeks of shows, and making a killing. Apparently, alot of Chinese people are willing to shell out for any and all Western bands over there. It's not like Japan, where you really need to have about 10,000 records sold (if you're a foreign band) in order for a Japanese promoter take interest in your band. China has zero CD market, and I wouldn't be surprised if alot of Chinese people who go to shows have no idea who the band is that they are seeing. It's actually quite a fascinating cultural difference if you ask me.