I'd like to see Mikael sing aggressively...without the growl!

redreflection

Sep 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
The move to release a 'mellow' album is obviously a sign that the band is maturing and developing. I wouldn't even mind if Mikael lost the death metal vocals altogether. I understand that the need for contrast exists, so does anyone think it could work if he combined his clear vocals with a more aggressive style of singing...without growling?

Originally posted by Elysian Blaze
No. Opeth doesn't need to go the route of In Flames.

Indeed! But why wouldn't they include that aggressive singing while still having the clean vocals and the growls. That would bring even more variety to their music.

I think the addition of clean-aggressive vocals to the death-growls and clean-mellow would be very very welcome.

"Clean Agressive" vocals are almost always cheesy as hell. I think the guys in Opeth do what they do very well, and are certainly always moving forward. There is absolutely no need for these clean agressive vocals at all. When I think clean agressive, I think latter day Anthrax, and theres nothing wrong with Anthrax, theyre the band that helped get me into metal in the first place, but I think that style of singing would be completely out of place atop Opeths music. Opeth is an extreme band, both extremes, heavy as fuck, and mellow and beautiful. There's no need for anything in the middle.

I don't think we need to worry about this... Opeth isn't likely to go all clean any time soon.

Did you guys ever hear the band called Steel? It's Dan Swano and Michael Akerfeldt... they got drunk one night and made a few songs (like 3, I think) that are basically just traditional metal tunes. Opeth used to have them for download on their webpage (a few years back). Michael sounds sort of like AC/DC... he's actually pretty good at that style... the music is totally just a joke... but like most things that Mike does, even when it is a joke... it's still pretty cool...

Some Chuck Billy-styled aggressive singing could prove interesting. It worked rather well on the latest Darkane, I thought. Even so, I'm not sure if that vocal style would work with the guitar style...you need some pretty thrashy axe licks to make that approach work effectively, and that is obviously not what Opeth is all about.

Looking forward to hearing what sort of development the upcoming album, er, albums, will mark for Opeth.

...my one hope is that the band doesn't start fucking around with electronic instrumentation....

Originally posted by Monsterxman
I don't think we need to worry about this... Opeth isn't likely to go all clean any time soon.

Did you guys ever hear the band called Steel? It's Dan Swano and Michael Akerfeldt... they got drunk one night and made a few songs (like 3, I think) that are basically just traditional metal tunes. Opeth used to have them for download on their webpage (a few years back). Michael sounds sort of like AC/DC... he's actually pretty good at that style... the music is totally just a joke... but like most things that Mike does, even when it is a joke... it's still pretty cool...

That was Dan singing.

geez.....new fans......

The Death Growls are just f'n awesome. Mike has the best DM growls out there today, why waste them?

Besides does anyone really think BWP would have been that good without them or hell Still Life or My Arms, Your Hearse and so on ......?

Granted I love Mikes clean singing ,but I LOVE Mikes Death vocals. It helps keep the bands gloomy image.

Stop bitching on what you think they should do ,and let them do what they want to do.

If you listen to the music long enough, you tend to realize that the growls are needed to maintain that sharp contrast... aggresive clean would just not do in Opeth's case. I'm not a very big fan of just growling, but I think Mikael does it really well and it fits the music and isn't tiresome to listen to... so the answer in short is, no.

agreed with most here... Mikael's death growl is pretty much far and away the best i have ever heard... and it works with tr00 death metal DAMN good as well, just listen to Bloodbath... that's what really proved it to me, FUCK it is good! and what do you mean, agressive clean singing? like Nu Metal vocals? bwahahaha... or you mean rapping? HAHAHAHHAHA ok i gotta stop before i puke on myself