I'd like to see Mikael sing aggressively...without the growl!

Clean aggressive makes me think of all these New England sons of bitches like Shadows Fall. You speak of growling wearing thin? Ha.

Besides, with clean vocals, clean "aggressive" vocals, and growls, don't you think that would be a little, well, cluttered? It's great to expand your sound. But, if you spread yourself too thin, then -everything- suffers.

I mean, hell, why not get Peter Dolving to do back-up vocals? Meh.

Faaaak. What are you bunch of weelocks whining about? I think that was a brilliant question. Mikael certainly could do lots of other styles as well. But singing agressive singing without growling is bad for voice...and physically much harder. And Opeth is not about being agressive, so I don´t think that would be necessary or even good.

I m very very primitive, fanatical man and
I can not LISTEN that sort of thinks..
there are lots of bands composing (and vocal singing) these...
mikael'present style is best,
he should make his changes on it

all i have to do to make myself vomit at the thought of clean yet aggressive vocals is think of linkin park...just think about the part when we he sings "CRAAAAAWLEEENG IEEEN MY SKEEEEN, THESE WOOOONDS THEY WILL NOT HEEEEYAAAALLL!" and then try to ask for aggressive vocals.

First of all, in reference to the twat who referred to me as a new fan, i've been into Opeth since Morningrise was released. I have a group of close friends and family members who hate the heavy music I listen to. I got into Opeth by myself and have had to put up with shit from them for years. I fucking hate nu-metal more than any person here. Suggesting that ditching the death-metal growls will somehow make Opeth nu-metal is fucking riduculous.

Who gives a shit about a 'gloomy image?' I'm worried about the quality and integrity of the music. How long can you listen to growling in your music before you start to expect a little bit more from what you're listening to? It's ok for people who have no talent and can't actually sing, but not for a band with the talent of Opeth.

I wasn't bitching about Opeth, just trying to discuss their potential to progress. Will you still be loving death metal growls in 5 or ten years time? If so, good luck to you. I happen to expect more.

Don't get me wrong, i love Opeth's music and i appreciate the vocals used in metal today. Including the need for black/death metal growls.

What got me thinking about this in the first place is a quote from Gene Simmons (Kiss) during an interview in Australia. I personally am not into Kiss but what he said made sense. He said something to the effect of "A band like Opeth have the potential to be big. I just don't like the vocals." When he said 'big' i don't think he meant in terms of commercial success either. I think he was refering to the universal respect that bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and King Crimson have earned. In my opinion, Opeth have the potential to be this important.

I don't think i's a good Idea, at least I personally would not enjoy it. I think about certain metallica songs when I think aggressive clean, and it makes me think that singers only do it because they don't have the range to hit the notes flawlessly. And I think by doing it, they would just be adding a percieved imperfection to the music, which would kind of detract from the band as a whole. That's one of the good things about Opeth, they may not be musically/vocally perfect or unsurpassable in talent, but what they write and sing seems to be at the extent of their ability, without trying to overdo it.

RedReflection I wasnt pointing you out..... why would I care to? The new fans in general seem to like the clean better, thats why I said it.

Chill the fuck out.

Anyway I just dont feel Opeth would be as "unpredictable/sharp" without it. But if you want to limit your music taste please be my guest.... (and yes now I'am being a prick.) :rolleyes:

In a way I do see where your coming from ,but by just limiting them to clean vocals it would cut out alot of their potential.

It just cant have the same effect of say.... Serenity Painted Death's chrous or Demon of the Falls heavier parts. Could you hear clean vocals behind those riffs? or the heavier parts of the 'Drapery Falls".

I love Mikes clean vocals ,but alone I just think it would limit them. Most of the material would have to be very mellow.

Im one of the many awaiting Damnation. You maybe right the album may be better than the previous. Untill the album comes out we just cant tell yet. But regardless we know it will be f'n awesome.

Originally posted by redreflection
Don't get me wrong, i love Opeth's music and i appreciate the vocals used in metal today. Including the need for black/death metal growls.

What got me thinking about this in the first place is a quote from Gene Simmons (Kiss) during an interview in Australia. I personally am not into Kiss but what he said made sense. He said something to the effect of "A band like Opeth have the potential to be big. I just don't like the vocals." When he said 'big' i don't think he meant in terms of commercial success either. I think he was refering to the universal respect that bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and King Crimson have earned. In my opinion, Opeth have the potential to be this important.

That's very interesting. And I agree that Opeth surely has the talent for it...

Opeth's complex and depth is something that definitely takes time to fully appreciate (especially for those who had never heard death metal bands before, like myself as Opeth was the first death metal band I heard). If you listen to it long enough, you will likely appreciate it after a while. I know I have come to listening to Opeth primarily for its beautiful acoustic passages and Mikael's wonderful clean vocals, but over time, I have certainly warned to Mikael's incredible vocal range, the dynamic of the music, etc. I also gained more of an appreciation of the lyrics greatly further than I had when I first heard them. Overall, it's possible Opeth could have an album that more people could identify with with Damnation (although the title certainly separates it a bit, hehe). I doubt Opeth will effort focus on things with a commercial view in mind. It will be likely left to those willing to take the time to try something new and listen to something with true subtlety. Pink Floyd has a universality to some of its music, but that also led to a great understanding of their music as well. Success always has its tradeoffs...

That said, I'd hope for a culture that would appreciate Opeth to the extent they deserve. :)

I guess that's what i was getting at. I get a bit frustrated that Opeth are not appreciated or given a chance by some people because of the death metal vocals used. I shouldn't really care if other people don't like Opeth, but i'm so into them that i want them to get the respect they deserve.

I also agree that the intensity and contrast of a song like Demon of the Fall would be lost without the death metal vocals at the beginning. I also find it hard to imagine clean vocals behind a lot of their heavier riffs but was just wondering if an alternative style of singing to growling could possibly suit it. Still heavy but just not sounding like the cookie monster.

I still think that with the clean and growled vocals, there is enough diversity to satisfy the masses. I mean, how many vocal approaches must Mikael take to impress you?

And you ask whether or not people will enjoy DM growling in 10 years. Well, seeing how DM's been around for 10+ years already, I think that question can be easily fielded.

I'm sorry if I'm being rude. I know that you simply want Opeth's universal appeal to be greater, for more people to enjoy their beautiful music. But, if Opeth has to adopt a new vocal delivery to attract more fans, wouldn't that be a compromise of integrity? Mike and company know that they have our eternal respect. I know they'd love to sell a million records, but they always have us to fall back on, and we shall embrace 'em, DM vocals or no.

I preffer the death vox keeping people away from the music. I think if they're turned off by something as trivial as the death vox, they wouldn't have the capacity to truly appreciate the form of music that Opeth create.

Also to what Gene Simmons said; I'm not sure if he's judging Opeth's potential success based on his vocal prefference, but knowing KiSS, when he meant 'big' he meant 'sell alot of records'. I really don't like the form of mentality that condemns music just because it isn't accessible to the masses because of one trait... I personally think that the death vox will keep Opeth true... and the day that Mikael loses those growls, is the day Opeth take the route of In Flames.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
I personally think that the death vox will keep Opeth true... and the day that Mikael loses those growls, is the day Opeth take the route of In Flames.

I made the first response on this post and that last bit was exactly what I said. Hear, hear! :)

I wouldn't want Mikael to change his vocals to attract more fans. I actually think the music could move up to a higher level. The last thing i'd want is for Opeth to sell-out or try to sell more CDs.

On the topic of the Mikael's death metal vocals, does anyone know how much of it is tampered with during production?

I wouldn't worry too much about whether his death metal vocals are overly touched up in the studio. I've downloaded live versions of "WhiteCluster" and "The Funeral Portrait"... The man can growl quite well.

In regards to the subject of this thread, I also think it'd be interesting to hear Mikael sing in a powerful way without growling, not all the time, just to see if he can do it for my own personal curiosity to be honest. If he can do it well, I think it might add another dimension to some songs. No one' s suggesting that he adopt a whole new style of singing, but I think for a passage or two now and then, it would be pretty cool. Opeth are already my favorite band and can do no wrong in my eyes, but surprises are always good.

Originally posted by Cynical Bastard
In regards to the subject of this thread, I also think it'd be interesting to hear Mikael sing in a powerful way without growling, not all the time, just to see if he can do it for my own personal curiosity to be honest. If he can do it well, I think it might add another dimension to some songs. No one' s suggesting that he adopt a whole new style of singing, but I think for a passage or two now and then, it would be pretty cool. Opeth are already my favorite band and can do no wrong in my eyes, but surprises are always good.

That's exactly what I thought. I would like to hear just one passage of clean aggressive singing, just to see if he could do it. Then if it's good, I would like to hear more, combined with growling and clean mellow vocals. If he couldn't pull it off, then is the time to start talking Limp Biscuit.