How to sing like ICS Vortex?

Undefined

Indefinite Entity
Sep 27, 2006
Unsure and Inexact
Just wondering if maybe we all pool our collective knowledge together we can see if there's a way to learn to sing like ICS Vortex, or at least understand how he sings, his vocal range, the notes he sings in songs, the equipment he uses on stage and in the studio (the effects) to sound that way, etc...

On Youtube there is a person whom, with the help of a lot of production, makes himself sound a bit like ICS Vortex (although he sounds a lot more like Garm). The video can be found here:

Although he doesn't really offer much in terms of how to sing in that style:

Hi!

I use Sonar for recording. Usually I record every vocal line twice, then I add Sonitus:fx compressor directly to the tracks, and Sonitus:fx reverb through an aux bus. Both effects come bundled with Sonar. As these are not album recordings, I use presets, I don't set anything manually.
As for the key, I do everything by ear, so I can't really help with that.
I'm not really in the position to give you tips, as I only know what is good for my voice. It's not a bad thing to visit a teacher if you just started. If you don't want that, I'd only give you one advice, try to find the limits of your range, and don't push further, otherwise you might screw up your voice. Even I did a little. I need to warm up a lot, otherwise my falsetto is just crap.

Best regards,
Attila

Basically I just want to know the equipment he uses on stage and the software and effects in studio but all the other stuff I mentioned too would be nice. I am just curious, not a real singer, maybe will invest in singing lessons but this would just be for fun as I love to sing along to the music.

And I don't want to end up like this either:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is really you can do other than listen to him sing and copy his mannerisms if you can. If you don't have a voice as wide in range as his then there is nothing you can really do. This guy on youtube happens to have a timbre slightly similar to Simen so he can sound like him. In the end it just comes down to have a wide vocal range and being able to impersonate voices if you're looking to sound like him.

Just like karpsmom said, it depends on if your voice is similar to Vortex's. Mine is more similar to Vintersorg so anything from Dimmu Borgir or Arcturus I would sing cleanly would probably not sound like Vortex's. I suggest recording a track of you singing. Now that I think about it I probably should too eventually. Change the timbre in your voice to go higher also. Good luck.

1º Use a keyboard or a guitar to know your vocal range and realize if you're just dreaming with ICS songs or you can do it with training (I know the vocal extension is possible but it requires A LOT of work and time). As an example, try a C3 and from there go up and down by half notes until you find yourself unable do the note naturally. To know your higher note is very important, cause you must try to not force your voice to reach it all the time and of course to go higher without training.

If your vocal range it's lower (or higher if that's the case) than Simen's, look for another great singers in your range and try it.

2º Record yourself and hear the real thing. You can try to find out if your voice is resemblant from another 'well-known' guy.

3º Do some intonation work, singing the notes from a tuned instrument. Do long notes first to learn the proper tuned notes. It's BORING but useful. Drink a lot of water, sleep well and when you feel some pain, stop it for a while, then resume.

3º If after those 3 points you still wanna sing for real, take lessons. With lessons you'll appreciate your own voice and that's the best part of it.
While my voice sounds a little like Garm on Kveldssanger (even Fenriz when I want to), I try to stay true to my own voice.

About Vortex, you need to know that on Dimmu he's so overprocessed as Shagrath. His work with Arcturus, Borknagar and Lamented Souls sounds a lot more natural.

A lot of his Arcturus and Borky stuff is heavily processed. Gotta go a-searchin' for the right sounds.

1º Use a keyboard or a guitar to know your vocal range and realize if you're just dreaming with ICS songs or you can do it with training (I know the vocal extension is possible but it requires A LOT of work and time). As an example, try a C3 and from there go up and down by half notes until you find yourself unable do the note naturally. To know your higher note is very important, cause you must try to not force your voice to reach it all the time and of course to go higher without training.

If your vocal range it's lower (or higher if that's the case) than Simen's, look for another great singers in your range and try it.

2º Record yourself and hear the real thing. You can try to find out if your voice is resemblant from another 'well-known' guy.

3º Do some intonation work, singing the notes from a tuned instrument. Do long notes first to learn the proper tuned notes. It's BORING but useful. Drink a lot of water, sleep well and when you feel some pain, stop it for a while, then resume.

3º If after those 3 points you still wanna sing for real, take lessons. With lessons you'll appreciate your own voice and that's the best part of it.
While my voice sounds a little like Garm on Kveldssanger (even Fenriz when I want to), I try to stay true to my own voice.

About Vortex, you need to know that on Dimmu he's so overprocessed as Shagrath. His work with Arcturus, Borknagar and Lamented Souls sounds a lot more natural.

Thank you very much for the tips I will try it out and see what happens. But you both mention he's very overprocessed on certain tracks, do you know the equipment he uses on stage? More importantly do you know the programs he uses in the studio and the effects to sound that way (if not the exact program then names of similar ones and the effects he uses)?

Thank you!

On Dimmu?

As far as I know, Simen records from 4 up to 6 (even 8) tracks, 2 tracks per vocal line. A HUGE difference is created by this technique, so you may try it (that Attila guy from the YT video did it too) but it requires flawless intonation.

Effects?

Shitloads of reverb and digital delay, harmonizer/chorus, maybe an autotune and even I would say a vocoder to enhancement effects.

Equipment?

Albums: the fucking best, with a great studio/engineers/mics/cables/daws/etx (not what the most of people have on their homes).

Live: the most obvious effects would be the bunch of reverb and delay + limiter.

I'm not sure if this can help you. If you wanna hear heavily overprocessed vocals besides Simen, check Ulver's electroambient stuff.

its simple, listen to opera. But his voice is so unique even then it will be hard. His range is also really good, so good luck with that. To me it is the melodies he creates, the same with vintersorg. Their just creative, inventive singers. Not the best technically, but just come up with great ideas.

That's really the only way. Your voice is like your fingerprint, it's very, very difficult to impersonate another vocalist... and no offense to the OP, but ESPECIALLY if you're just a hobbyist or doing it only for fun.