Questions about Quintessence

evil_bacteria

New Metal Member
Nov 13, 2008
I just bought Quintessence (like, yesterday), which is the first Scandanavian metal album I've ever bought. It's cool but I do wonder, does ICS Vortex sing on Colossus? If so, why is that the only song where he actually sings, insteads of growling and yelling? Is there an album on which the vocalist sings the whole time? It turns out that Borknagar is really good, but I can't stand the death growl at all.

I just bought Quintessence (like, yesterday), which is the first Scandanavian metal album I've ever bought. It's cool but I do wonder, does ICS Vortex sing on Colossus? If so, why is that the only song where he actually sings, insteads of growling and yelling? Is there an album on which the vocalist sings the whole time? It turns out that Borknagar is really good, but I can't stand the death growl at all.

He sings a great deal more on The Archaic Course. If you want his clean singing only check out:

Arcturus (only Sideshow Symphonies is the one he sings on... plus a few other tracks on La Masquerade Infernale that he guested, unless you download Shipwreckd in Oslo Mp3 version):

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=88732279

(Daemon Painter is the only song in which he sings on the page, and some guest parts on Master of Disguise (he is the higher voice), the live bootleg of Shipwrecked in Oslo is incredible imo)

Lamented Souls:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=76420656
Go listen to Lamented Souls or Arcturus then. :3

Ohh, I think that black metal shrieks gotta grow on you with time. I mean, they're not "accesible", and you have to deal with them. But hey, it's a matter of taste, so you know.

Cheers!

I think the reason I don't like the screaming is that it totally obscures the lyrics; I can't understand what he's saying. Great music, though, regardless.

I'll have to listen to some Arcturus, and find out who Lamented Souls are :)

I was the opposite at first concerning Borknagar, I liked the harsh vocals but wasn't into the clean vocals, but now I like both.

You'll learn to like it.

It's true. It took me a while to get used to it, being more into progressive/old school space rock than metal, until I discovered Borknagar and a few other black metal bands. You'll find ways to appreciate the awesomeness of it sooner or later.

I think the reason I don't like the screaming is that it totally obscures the lyrics; I can't understand what he's saying. Great music, though, regardless.
True, but that's why the lyrics are printed in the cd booklet :lol:

Once you read it, while listening, you can usually discern the lyrics easily.

yea with extreme metal vocals you either love them or hate them. if you love them, it isn't instantaneous 99% of the time, but rather a gradual build of of tolerance to eventually "liking" them. if you want an easier path to help you enjoy them, try reading the lyrics to the song so you can understand what he is saying and how he is saying it. delivery is important.

Ooh, ooh, I was wrong. I realized I'm hardcore into Rammstein even though I don't understand more than a few sentences of German. I guess it's just something I'll like once I get used to; there are plenty of bands I disliked at first but liked later on (like The Beatles and the Violent Femmes).

I finished listening to the whole album, and I think Colossus and Invincible are the best tracks. They friggin' rock.

Yes, they do... But like I said The Archaic Course is an album in which there is a lot more clean singing. I prefer it to Quintessence but that's just me.

There was more clean singing, but it was much worse than the clean singing on Quintessence if you ask me.

Not that it was bad of course. It's just that on songs like Ruins of Future when it's mostly grim vocals, when Vortex sings it's just fucking...apex.

:lol: I couldn't disagree more. I love The Archaic Course, it's one of my favourite albums of all time, in the top 5 for sure.

For me, I think Quintessence is the darker brother of TAC. I love both. I mean aside from Colossus most of the songs were growling vocals except for a few parts.

:lol: I couldn't disagree more. I love The Archaic Course, it's one of my favourite albums of all time, in the top 5 for sure.

For me, I think Quintessence is the darker brother of TAC. I love both. I mean aside from Colossus most of the songs were growling vocals except for a few parts.
Darker electronic brother! :lol:

I like Quintessence a lot more than TAC. TAC isn't one of my favourites, just the way it sounds and seems so repetitive. And Vortex's vocals don't seem as powerful as they do in other albums. They sound, for the most part, weak, almost strained. It's good, but the vocals are just a bit disappointing.

I like Quintessence a lot more than TAC. TAC isn't one of my favourites, just the way it sounds and seems so repetitive. And Vortex's vocals don't seem as powerful as they do in other albums. They sound, for the most part, weak, almost strained. It's good, but the vocals are just a bit disappointing.
Weak, strained? I don't hear that at all, but everyone has their opinions. I agree they are a bit different compared to his later work, maybe a bit deeper (not his higher pitched tone) but I really like it. Every song on that album has amazing vocal part to me... but meh :p

And they play DOOOOOOOM. I heard they've got a new one on the go?

Most of the album's just "OK" to me but Essence Of Wounds is just killer.

Yeah there's recording a new album, I hope it sees the light of day within a year... apparently they began basic recording in the summer, the album is written and has been for years but they never bothered to do it because they were busy. Since Code fell through I hope he finished the album in a few month so it can see a 2009 release. At first I just thought LS was an ok band but it really grew on me and I really enjoy that CD when I'm in the mood for slower music.