What should I listen to first?

GONE Ridin' Hood

Professor.
Jul 8, 2005
I just heard Borknagar's Quintessence (or however ye spell it), and I LOVED it!!!

Anyway, this is kinda of embarrasing, but I had never heard any Borknagar before (even though I've been listening metal for years..., I just found it :cry: , stupid me), so please forgive me for asking the following (probably) stupid questions:

1) Which albums should I hear first?

2) What's the relationship between Borknagar, Vintersorg and Solefald :headbang: ?

3) Feel free to write any info ye want ye think I should know.

Thanx a lot.

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood said:
I just heard Borknagar's Quintessence (or however ye spell it), and I LOVED it!!!

1) Which albums should I hear first?
2) What's the relationship between Borknagar, Vintersorg and Solefald ?
3) Feel free to write any info ye want ye think I should know.

Hey Lil`nice to see you here:wave:

1:Quintessence is good to start with, perhaps check out beside Q. the album "The Archaic Course", its with the same singer(Simen who is now the bassplayer and backgroundsinger in Dimmu Borgir)
TAC is more softer than Q, but has more "viking" spirit :kickass:

2: Vintersorg is the actual singer of Borknagar, he has replaced Simen after he ran over to Dimmu Borgir. He is on the last 2 albums, Epic and Empiricism.
Vintersorg did a Sideproject with Oystein G.Brun(The Mastermind of Borknagar) called Cronian
On the first 2 Borknagar albums the singer was Garm from Ulver.
And what has Solefald to do with Borknagar? Lazare the half of Solefald is the Keyboardplayer in Borknagar.

3: www.Borknagar.com

in my opinion you should listen every album in the order they were released, and if possible, all on same day!

I too suggest listening to Quintessence first, it's my favourite album and I think sits nicely in the middle of their stylistic growth. It's almost like Borknagar's own Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk.

I regret that I don't have either of the Garm albums... some day soon, though! I can never find it available to order online.

karpsmom said:
I say go in order.

Yup that's probably the best way to do it. Although keep in mind that Borknagar's sound (not just production-wise but musically as well) changes from album to album (and they are all great), so don't expect more of the same from each album.

All righty then, I'll try to get them somehow. Thanx for the info everyone :).

Not that you probably care, but I like Solefald better than Borknagar (I have "Pills Against the Ageless Ills" cd, quite an amazing find considering were I live).

But both of them still rulez a lot :headbang: .

speaking of Solefald, any NEWS??!?!?!?!?!? karpsmom?? why don't they at least put up a small announcement on the homepage that it's being rebuilt/updated, instead of loading for ages and then finally coming up with the 'page not found' crap..
when it comes to determine who's better, Solefald or Borknagar, i'd say Solefald, even thought i started listening to Borknagar first, in early 2000
started listening to Solefald when Pills.. released, somewhere in 2001