I'd like to see Mikael sing aggressively...without the growl!

now i say stop!

this is a nonsense ....

growl non growl

who fuckin' care

music is an expression of emotions if you want growl ,growl

if not put a finger in your ass and scream or squeeze your balls and singing high pitched

wathever you want

the important thing is integrity!

maybe if opeth read this thread they will made a grindcore album with operatic vocals on it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i am bored of this thread!:(

Thanks for putting dimensionidol in her place. I've noticed that she's always just waiting to get into an arguement or at least trying to start one. Seems to be a negative person.

On Opeth going clean, I think that this is the typical reaction for most people who are new to the band and aren't used to the growling. If you listen to them enough, you realize that if they were to lose the death vocals, they would also lose a whole level of dynamics that their music has now. Also clean aggressive vocals are a pretty narrow plank to walk... I can't think of too many singers who sing clean aggressive that don't sound gay. I mean, I'm sure Mikael could do it well... but why risk adding cheesiness to the music. My opinion is that if Opeth must experiment, let it be more with different instruments and effects, and less with vocals.

It's good to see most people here are open minded.

How can you say Mikael's aggressive non-death metal vocals would be cheesy when you haven't heard him actually try it? Some singers can actually do it well and keep it heavy. No cheese. Some of the greatest bands in history have made a mark for themselves and earned respect by doing new experimental things with their music, that weren't necessarily popular at the time, yet they never fucked with vocals.

If anything is getting cheesy, it's the old standard death metal growl.

I think its a pretty good idea. It would surely broaden Opeth's musical progression. However that doesnt mean Mikael has to quit the growls. Its one of the most powerful features in their music! But really, Opeth would sound very cool with Danielish (Pain of Salvation) clean growls. They deliver lots of power and emotion. Even though I'd hate Mikael writing his music for the fans I sure hope he'd at least consider this.

Originally posted by Monsterxman
Thanks for putting dimensionidol in her place. I've noticed that she's always just waiting to get into an arguement or at least trying to start one. Seems to be a negative person.

On Opeth going clean, I think that this is the typical reaction for most people who are new to the band and aren't used to the growling. If you listen to them enough, you realize that if they were to lose the death vocals, they would also lose a whole level of dynamics that their music has now. Also clean aggressive vocals are a pretty narrow plank to walk... I can't think of too many singers who sing clean aggressive that don't sound gay. I mean, I'm sure Mikael could do it well... but why risk adding cheesiness to the music. My opinion is that if Opeth must experiment, let it be more with different instruments and effects, and less with vocals.

fuck you!!!

why do you think that i am a female?

:mad:

when i think aggressive clean singing i think whiny nu-metal bands. they yell and sing at the same time. its only purpose is to feed whiny teenage angst. i don't want that in opeth.

however, i'd like to hear mikael try some of the vocal stuff steve wilson did on tracks like bleak. its clean but its powerful, yet not aggressive in the way i think you mean it.

opeth is putting out a fully clean album, so stop your complaining. and stop trying to tell us opeth should put whiny teenage angst in their music. seriously, clarify what you mean by "aggressive clean" vocals or shutup.

Originally posted by redreflection
I guess that's what i was getting at. I get a bit frustrated that Opeth are not appreciated or given a chance by some people because of the death metal vocals used. I shouldn't really care if other people don't like Opeth, but i'm so into them that i want them to get the respect they deserve.

I also agree that the intensity and contrast of a song like Demon of the Fall would be lost without the death metal vocals at the beginning. I also find it hard to imagine clean vocals behind a lot of their heavier riffs but was just wondering if an alternative style of singing to growling could possibly suit it. Still heavy but just not sounding like the cookie monster.

I understand. I think the band will make competent decisions about how they want to progress. I was greatly turned off by the vocals originally, but I still gave it a few spins and noticed something - I really liked it. People have to be open-minded about the music. If they see anything they really like about it, it's likely they'll come back... Opeth shouldn't change just to make them accessible to less open-minded people. Hopefully, it would be the other way around, and the people would begin to be less provincial about what they let their ears hear. ;)

They better not fucking lose the growls. I'm new to the band, and yes, I do listen to some nu-metal. That doesn't mean shit, considering I also listen to thrash, death, doom, black, folk, prog, and all the strange combinations of them. First time I heard him growl (demon of the fall) I was blown away, one of my favorite growlers ever.

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
when i think aggressive clean singing i think whiny nu-metal bands. they yell and sing at the same time. its only purpose is to feed whiny teenage angst. i don't want that in opeth.

however, i'd like to hear mikael try some of the vocal stuff steve wilson did on tracks like bleak. its clean but its powerful, yet not aggressive in the way i think you mean it.

opeth is putting out a fully clean album, so stop your complaining. and stop trying to tell us opeth should put whiny teenage angst in their music. seriously, clarify what you mean by "aggressive clean" vocals or shutup.

Firstly, I never said "clean aggressive," i said aggressive without the growl. I'm sick of people reading one line of a post and jumping to conclusions.

Maybe the reason why when you think of aggressive non-death metal vocals you think of whiny nu-metal bands is perhaps because the range of music you have been exposed to is very fucking limited. I don't think that you have to growl lyrics death-metal style to be heavy.

I'm a big fan of the way Devin Townsend approaches his music, particularly with Strapping Young Lad. His vocals are heavy as fuck but he's not growling. He simply applies various layers and effects to his vocals. Like you said, Opeth experimented with it on Bleak and it worked brilliantly (not that it's heavy though). I'm also a big fan of Meshuggah. I prefer Jens Kidman's vocals to any death metal growl i've heard so far.

Aggressive and heavy, just no growling! It's getting old!

There are worse things than clean aggressive vocals, for example:

-The growled rap style (hehehe)
-The pop growl (e.g the nu-metal growl, shudder)
-The clean growl (?)
-The clean wail (!)
-The cleanly sobbed wail growl
-The cleanly growled falsetto rap
-The cleanly rapped pop growl
-The screamingly agonised screeching wail
-The sobbingly clean rap
-The rap
etc....

-Just to add an air of stupidity to this heated discussion, I take my leave *bows*

Two extreme styles are good enough in Opeth's case I think. I'm sure Mikael could sing any way he wanted and make it sound good, but I think it would compromise some of the integrity of the music if he started down that route. Susperia had that multi-dimensional vocal thing going on and it worked pretty well in Predominance, but in their second album it just went all to whack and sounds like shit, and I wouldn't want experimentation gone wrong to happen to a band like Opeth. The vocals are fine the way they are in my opinion!

Originally posted by dimensionidol
they still do what they have to do for evolving and exploring!

i hope that they don't listen to their fans!:rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i am fucking bored by what opeth could or not do with their music!

:(

ME TOO! :(