Ideas on what finish I should put on a project guitar?

Finally ordered the neck and tuners, should be here on monday! Funny thing, though. I've been waiting for a month to have money for them, and now I noticed the neck wasn't available anymore. Gladly I found another store that still had two left and ordered it instantly. Won't have money to get them from the post office until monday, but at least I know I'm getting the neck now.

She's finished! Here's a horrible cell phone pic, it looks so much better in person:

lp_valmis2.jpg

The neck had a light coat of lacquer on it and it felt really smooth, so I didn't bother sanding it down and oiling it. I'll do it when the lacquer starts wearing out. I haven't set her up properly yet, but at least I got it in tune, everything works and it actually plays REAL nice. No idea if can get it intonated, though :lol:

Sweet dude, must be great to finally have it all done - though if I were you I'd immediately sand down that headstock top and stain it as close as you can to the body color :D

Changed the picture to just a little better one. Also, I tightened the truss rod a bit, leveled the bridge, closed my eyes and hoped it could be intonated even reasonably close. Whaddayaknow, apart from the G and B strings the others were pretty much spot on, which is quite ridiculous considering I just assembled the axe :D

Marcus, yeah, I'll probably do that in the future, but in some perverted way I dig the natural mahogany headstock :)

Yeah, it's probably not as bad in person, but the cam phone makes the two shades look close enough to one another to drive me bonkers :lol: Anyway, minor quip, and if you dig it that's all that matters! :headbang:

Great job man! I dig the color, i normally don't like gold hardware but it suits it. I also like the slightly worned out "workhorse guitar" look it has. What pickup's did you stick in it?

Thanks! They're actually still the original pickups that were (partly) attached to it when I found it. Even the pots, switch and wiring are original (from the 60's apparently), and they work fine (apart from a bit of crackling in one pot) after lying in a pile of mold for ages. And the pups actually sound really neat, pure mojo machine :D

Seems I missed the thread back then

Turned out awesome man, the finish looks great! really sexy with the gold hardware too!
Makes me wish I'd had the space, tools and knowledge to do so with a guitar...especially after seeing the DIY kits in the thread linked on the 1st page.

Makes me wish I'd had the space, tools and knowledge to do so with a guitar...especially after seeing the DIY kits in the thread linked on the 1st page.

Painting and finishing them isn't hard at all, just dont mix oil based with water based finishes and usually it'll turn out well.

Looks awesome, Jarkko.:kickass: Ive got a crappy Stagg LP copy I need to do this to. Needs some nice tuners and new knobs.