Identity of the "crazy eyed killer"...

Katabasis

Sep 24, 2003
near Sydney, Australia
Visit site
... after receiving the special edition casing and having a better look at this "crazy eyed killer" guy, I think I know who it is.
Opeth.
As in, the band picture. If you look closely, it's quite obviously an amalgamation of several different people. For example, the eyes/eyebrows are from two different people (the guy's right eye seems to be Mikael), the hair Mendez, the 'earringed' ear Axe (he has an earring right?), etc, etc.
Add to the fact that (at least in the special edition) there is no band picture, and it all seems to fit quite nicely.
You could even enter into the murky waters of pretentiousness and say it's a symbol of how 'together' they are as Opeth, how they are all part of the whole; a gestalt; yadda, yadda, yadda, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

(PS: I hope someone hasn't already posted this theory, but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere).

Thoughts?

when i saw the picture in the illidan's thread about his deluxe edition i kind of figured it was a group photo of all of them.

btw mendez is the one with the earring, and thats what gave it away for me

I am positive that this "crazy eyed killer" is a collage of the members' faces. Just take a look at this picture. I cut out the right eye and if that ain't Mikael, nobody is. So, I definitely agree with Katabasis!

I have not yet received my copy and consequently I have no idea what this code thing looks like, but maybe the 6867 on the cover of the Special Edition has something to do with it? I could be completely wrong, of course.

... after receiving the special edition casing and having a better look at this "crazy eyed killer" guy, I think I know who it is.
Opeth.
As in, the band picture. If you look closely, it's quite obviously an amalgamation of several different people. For example, the eyes/eyebrows are from two different people (the guy's right eye seems to be Mikael), the hair Mendez, the 'earringed' ear Axe (he has an earring right?), etc, etc.
Add to the fact that (at least in the special edition) there is no band picture, and it all seems to fit quite nicely.
You could even enter into the murky waters of pretentiousness and say it's a symbol of how 'together' they are as Opeth, how they are all part of the whole; a gestalt; yadda, yadda, yadda, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

(PS: I hope someone hasn't already posted this theory, but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere).

Thoughts?

Yes, I belive this has someting to do with the promised "symbolism" on Watershed, because when I first saw the SE cover I wondered what's a photoshoped Mendez doing there.

Ok, so far I've come to the conclusion that the Killerface is made from the following parts:

Right eye (left from our POV): Mikael
Hair and nose: Mendez (nose could be Per?)
Mouth: Frederik (definately)
Chin / goatee: probably Axe

Can't find out who the other eye belongs to...