Opeth: A rift in the genre of metal?

Land Of Grey And Pink

Remember The Future
Apr 27, 2004
California
Im not quite sure if this topic has been discussed here yet, whether it be directly or just similar. But i was thinking about something today.

Not being some fanatic of Opeth or anything like that, but realizing their uniqueness and sincerity in the world of music these days dawned on me. They are rooted in extreme metal, obviously...but at the same time, are selling a lot of records for an extreme underground act and, in my opinion this being because of their diversity/beauty and unique aproach to writing music in general.

It seems to me Opeth, even if after retired and not touring or at least producing more albums (maybe only no more metal?)...will probably gain quite a bit of popularity to gain a sort of worldwide recognition. Just to justify my statements, and not get ahead of myself, ill bring about the example of the beatles....and no, im not comparing Opeths music to the beatles, but just the situation and timing of their arrival. The beatles brought a bigger picture to the world of rock music, not necessarily inventing any new sounds or advances at the time, but obviously their aproach was unique and had something that many took a hold of. Keep in mind im speaking of later era Beatles, not "help" and "please please me" era so much.

Opeth in a way only took a large/broad dynamic...that being distorted guitars and growling, with acoustic guitars and soft passages...meanwhile lacing it with tons of harmonies and a catchy writing aproach to create something pretty special if you ask me. The beatles took electronic elements, choirs, acoustics, harmonized vocals, psychadelic passages, even classical elements and blended it with rock to do the very same thing opeth did....create something new out of something old.

Of course Opeth has one set back from gaining mass popularity that the beatles did...which is that they are still very much an extreme act (which im sure is fine with them, and frankly is fine with me), but as the mainstream gets more and more used to this type of sound (look at this years ozzfest lineup, and certain underground band's record sales), i beleive it could mean very good things for Opeth in the future. I sure hope it does, i dont want this band to go anywhere. Im not much of a big metal fan anymore, but Opeth is certainly my favorite metal band these days, its wonderful to hear a blend of metal/70s progressive (my favorite genre)/with a these days...which is what i love about their music.

Ah yes, Caravan and Nektar...youre the first to notice, or at least comment. Two points for you, haha. Yeah, theyre two of my favorites for sure. Notice theres a yes quote in my signature as well...maybe my all time favorite right there. :)