Opeth: The New Beatles?

LordHypnos said:
If you wouldnt mind showing me where in my post i stated that i feel popularity has anything to do with being a good band? in any case, most the music i listen to is underground/older or obscure in some form or another, so that kills that theory of yours. as for the beatles lyrics of "love me do" and "she loves you, yeah, yeah yeah"...those songs were written to be nothing more than pop songs, they never tried to sell those off as something special or great...neither am I. its the later era beatles...the stuff that truly influenced most the people who were influenced by them that im talking about. As for saying i think the beatles write good lyrics because of "RIAA" (whoever that might be?) says so...then i hate to dissapoint you, because thats a conclusion ive come to from listening to them for years. So you can take "love me do" and do whatever youd like with it...for when Opeth writes lyrics as good as "the long and winding road" or "yesterday" or "a day in the life"...(which is mikaels favorite song of all time i might add)....then you can page me. Thank you
i suppose you have already forgotten writing this: "i think their credentials in the music industry speak for themselves". here you give credence to the music industry, otherwise its praise would not be worth mentioning. what better embodies the music industry than the RIAA? you obviously come to conclusions based on what the RIAA tells you, because you admitted as such yourself. i'm sure you are ignorant of whom the RIAA is, because you have demonstrated an incredulous amount of ignorance already, but you don't have to know who they are to feel their effects (the numerous lawsuits attest to that). finally, you attest to liking underground music but all i've seen from you is praise for the most popular band in the history of occidental music. what then would you call "underground"?
and on a side note, even if the beatles tried in vain to write lyrics with substance, their music remained trite and banal to the end.

Im showing a lot of ignorance am i? yet you claim the beatles havent written any good lyrics other than their early bubble gum pop songs? and ive shown no signs of liking underground music? haha, obviously youre the ignorant one, for im sure my avatar means nothing to you, if you think i dont know any underground music. youre done kid, let it go. bash the beatles all youd like, it doesnt matter to me anymore. and keep making assumptions while youre at it. :tickled:

Trite and banal?! The Beatles?! Helter Skelter is trite?! Julia is banal?! The Fool On The Hill?! Eleanor Rigby?! A DAY IN THE FUCKING LIFE??!!!
I think someone needs to stop talking utter shit Mr Alumnus.

LordHypnos said:
I sincerely hope you dont feel Opeths lyrics are incredibly profound either...

"The memories that now rest in this forest, forever shadowing the sunrise of my heart"

"In solitude i wander, through the vast enchanted forest"

"Riding the fires of the northern gold, ive searched the eye, i laugh under the weeping moon."

"You sleep in the light, yet the night and the silent water, still so dark"

"You are in a forest unknown, the secret orchard, and your voice is vast and achromatic..."

You see? terrible lyrics!

*prepares for fanboy onslaught*

Although I agree The Beatles are the greatest band ever, I still like those fuckin lyrics you mentioned!
I think that is just genius- it may not mean much to you but I'm sure it has significance for Mikael.
So fuckin leave Opeth alone! :guh:

*Fanboy "onslaught" over* :D

You don't have to like their music. I don't even like them that much. But to completely ignore their impact on pretty much all modern music is just stupid.

I like a few songs, like I said. I don't like most. Just because a band is influential doesn't mean I should respect them. If a band with music I don't like, influences a lot of bands, surely that makes music worse, generally. I'm not ignoring their impact, I'm merely wondering whether it was a good thing.

Maybe because they like the Beatles better? Which band makes better music is totally subjective. Which band is more talented can also be subjective because people define talent in different ways, but I think for the most part the Beatles were way more talented than Opeth. Do you really think in thirty years Opeth will have had the same effect on music that the Beatles have? Look at how many different things the Beatles did over ten years and then look at what Opeth has done. They make Opeth look like AC/DC or The Ramones in terms of artistic progression and innovation.

Meh. If I sat down with some pots and pans, and started hitting random ones, I'm sure I could make it catch on somehow. Perhaps influence several bands. That DOESN'T mean it's a good thing for music, I'm sure many would consider it as being a step in the wrong direction. For example, I'm sure Korn are far more influential than Opeth. Boyzone probably are. From what you're saying, Boyzone have more talent. Maybe you'd agree, I don't know.

Sure, it's all subjective, maybe I'm just arrogant. Bah.

LordHypnos said:
I sincerely hope you dont feel Opeths lyrics are incredibly profound either...

"The memories that now rest in this forest, forever shadowing the sunrise of my heart"

"In solitude i wander, through the vast enchanted forest"

"Riding the fires of the northern gold, ive searched the eye, i laugh under the weeping moon."

"You are in a forest unknown, the secret orchard, and your voice is vast and achromatic..."

You see? terrible lyrics! so please people, before we start bashing the "BEATLES"!! of all bands on lyrical content (i think their credentials in the music industry speak for themselves), lets re-evaluate what forum we are in! thank you....and for you the alumnus, i dont think you have any place to talk about instant gratification considering youre a metal fan...bashing the beatles.:Smug:

*prepares for fanboy onslaught*

you got it right SPOT ON mate. i agree with everything that man said on the matter. and to the lad who asked me who sounds like opeth, i just meant that opeth didnt create grunts, weird rythm patterns and dark poetry. its like dream theater getting death metal, nothing that original really.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Meh. If I sat down with some pots and pans, and started hitting random ones, I'm sure I could make it catch on somehow. Perhaps influence several bands.
If you were smart enough to make these things work in a musical context, then yes, I'm sure it would catch on and be an influence to many artists. You need talent to make it work though. The Beatles didn't become the most important band of the twentieth century by magic.

mehdi.i.e.e.e said:
to the lad who asked me who sounds like opeth, i just meant that opeth didnt create grunts, weird rythm patterns and dark poetry. its like dream theater getting death metal, nothing that original really.
No-one ever said that Opeth invented death grunts/growls, odd rhythms and dark lyrics. There is much more to Opeth than you think.

graveflower said:
If you were smart enough to make these things work in a musical context, then yes, I'm sure it would catch on and be an influence to many artists. You need talent to make it work though. The Beatles didn't become the most important band of the twentieth century by magic.

Firstly, Take That had millions of fans and hundreds of boy bands were influenced by them, therefore they have talent? If that's what you're saying, fair enough, I agree that by that logic, The Beatles had more talent than anybody.
Secondly, The Beatles aren't the most important band to me.
Thirdly, I don't even dislike The Beatles' music that much, there's a few songs I love. But I think I have a point that most people are missing.

Why compare the two bands? No matter how little I like the Beatles, it won't change that they influenced nearly everyone after them. And my love for Opeth won't break them into the Top 40 and make Fred Durst rethink his music(hopefully the first part won't happen and the second will.).

See?

Firstly, Take That had millions of fans and hundreds of boy bands were influenced by them, therefore they have talent? If that's what you're saying, fair enough, I agree that by that logic, The Beatles had more talent than anybody.
Not just boy bands. Their influence on modern music goes far, far beyond their early pop success. Just because they inspired a lot of crappy bands takes absolutely nothing away from their own accomplishments. If you really think that all or most of their influence is limited to shallow pop groups then you're ignorant. Listen to Revolver and tell me that N'Sync could put out an album like that, and find me one other band who was doing that kind of stuff back in 1966.

Secondly, The Beatles aren't the most important band to me.
I'm not talking about you as an individual. If you can name a single other band that's had as big of an impact on the world as The Beatles I'd really love to hear it.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Trite and banal?! The Beatles?! Helter Skelter is trite?! Julia is banal?! The Fool On The Hill?! Eleanor Rigby?! A DAY IN THE FUCKING LIFE??!!!
I think someone needs to stop talking utter shit Mr Alumnus.
i will talk utter shit as much as i wish.

graveflower said:
no, it was already done by john cage years ago.

the alumnus said:
no, it was already done by john cage years ago.
Um, there's pretty much no comparison between John Cage and The Beatles at all. They made completely different types of music for completely different audiences and purposes. The Beatles are notable for taking so many musical elements not usually associated with mainstream music and putting them in that context, and turning rock away from mass blues plagiarization and into an artform of its own.

There is a certain part of history and technology that needs to appreciate the beatles.
It won't happen again. The socio-technical networks are now more complex.
Information about bands was very fragmented. There was limited globalisation.

The Beatles had great songs and some very bad ones as well.

But they had tunes that worked.

That is timeless.

graveflower said:
Not just boy bands. Their influence on modern music goes far, far beyond their early pop success. Just because they inspired a lot of crappy bands takes absolutely nothing away from their own accomplishments. If you really think that all or most of their influence is limited to shallow pop groups then you're ignorant. Listen to Revolver and tell me that N'Sync could put out an album like that, and find me one other band who was doing that kind of stuff back in 1966.

I'm not talking about you as an individual. If you can name a single other band that's had as big of an impact on the world as The Beatles I'd really love to hear it.

No, I wasn't saying that The Beatles only influenced boy bands, I was just saying that if your definition of 'talent' is 'how influential the band is', The Beatles are the most talented band ever, but also, Take That are more talented than Opeth.

And Korn had a massive impact on the rock scene, but it wasn't a good impact IMO. I agree with you that The Beatles had a huge impact on the music scene, and it may have been a good thing. Then again, it may have been a bad thing. Considering I dislike most of The Beatles' 'classic' songs, I'd probably say the latter is more accurate, at least for me.

I consider them talented more for their innovations in music than for their influence. I merely mention their impact to reinforce the importance of their innovations. I don't know who Take That is but Korn were hardly a very original band.

I think this thread needs to die right about now. Theres 2 kinds of metalheads....Open minded metalheads...and closeminded metalheads. Pick your side of the fence, and thatll be the end of it i guess?:Smug: