Are the Beatles Overated?

Are the Beatles Overated

• Yes, the Beatles are Overated

Votes: 53 58.9%
  • No, the Beatles are not Overated

Votes: 37 41.1%

• Total voters
autumnsphere said:
i really don't feel like arguing with blockheads. sorry, mates, im off.
im sorry for u all.
Well these "blockheads" managed to thougholy pick apart your argument, while you couldn't even answer our questions directly. Whats that say about you?

I hate The Beatles.
But those who listen to that music, don't think they're overrated, so it depends, I guess they had talent, and some quality, but that quality means nothing to me because I don't give a fuck about their shitty little songs. :ill:
Anyway, I don't like to offence anyone, I just say that they were popular, why-who knows? People loved them, some still do, I didn't, I never will.

autumnsphere said:
i really don't feel like arguing with blockheads. sorry, mates, im off.
im sorry for u all.
HAH! I'm sorry, you lost this argument badly.

I don't think they are overrated because they work really hard to get their music done right. They definitely earned their place in rock history. Most of the bands in the '60s were just faces but with studio musicians as their music writers. The Beatles were both songwriters and performers. As for the fad and culture that surrounds The Beatles, it's a bit overrated, I admit.

crimsonfloyd said:
What are you completly nieve about anything and everything in music!?!?!?
Ok that song is musically very simple and not too emotional either. If you want more emotional song listen to Mayhem's song Necrolust. Or emotional and musicanship together try basically anything by Opeth, lets pick The Moor, but really any Opeth song out does that one. I mean seriously do you know what musicanship and emotion are? I mean even I know that the Beatles have songs far superior in those two catagories, why'd you pick that one?
because you cant see it i guess. musicianship is about writing songs. chords schemes for example. and these schemes are just neglected by todays metalbands... they justy play a random sequence of chords and thats the basic for their song (well they probably never bothered thinking about it, as they play mostly evil power metal chords only :Smug: )

i like opeth, but thats not about emotion at all.... well... damnation a bit maybe, but certainly not the moor. opeth stands for nice complex riffing. and a lot of you seek much more behind it, while there isnt such stuff. (now you might pretend that it is there...)

and i never bothered to check out mayhem. but ill do to please you so i can make my mind about it. (and probably tell that its the same shit ;) )

ah come on please. while reading this thread i saw a lot of you dont appreciate them. but why pretending that they are not genuine? and being genuine in their time is like eating a chocolate bar on jupiter.

so deffo not overrated. oh im short sighted now?

I used to think the Beatles were boring and overrated until I actually sat down and listened to their albums. Now they're one of my favorite all time bands. I mean, they've emotionally touched hundreds of millions, thats gotta count for something.

Mariner said:
because you cant see it i guess. musicianship is about writing songs. chords schemes for example. and these schemes are just neglected by todays metalbands... they justy play a random sequence of chords and thats the basic for their song
Your joking, right? You can't be this dumb. Do you honestly think that most metal bands just toss together a bunch of random riffs do you?
Mariner said:
i like opeth, but thats not about emotion at all.... well... damnation a bit maybe, but certainly not the moor. opeth stands for nice complex riffing. and a lot of you seek much more behind it, while there isnt such stuff. (now you might pretend that it is there...)
You obviously have no understand what Opeth is about. Opeth is all about emotion, the complex riffs mean nothing to me, Opeth is my favorite band cuz they move me on an emotional level like no one else. Obviously you are making the extreemly ignorent mistake of thinking that heavy music can't be emotional, it just shows you lack of uncerstanding for heavy music.[/QUOTE]
Mariner said:
and i never bothered to check out mayhem. but ill do to please you so i can make my mind about it. (and probably tell that its the same shit ;) )
No point you won't get it. You don't seem to understand that emotion can be conveyed in many different ways in music, including through agressive music.

This whole talking is sooooo useless and stupid. My opinon:

1. I like the Beatles. Fine. You don't (or you like them but not so much). Fine again.

2. OVERRATED means that they were not as GOOD as poeple think. This is what Autumn... replied to.

3. TRENDY means that people listen to their music because it's "cool". This is what bothers you, as I see it in your posts. So, in a few words, even the best band in the world can have fans who are only there because the band's a wellknown name. Take Opeth for example, I think you like them. I also like them a lot. However, you won't disagree, many metalheads listen to them and "try" to like them, because they are considered a good, technical band. This is BAD for the people who do it, NOT for Opeth!

So, to sum up:

1. We can't argue if you must like the beatles or not.
2. Being TRENDY does not mean you are OVERRATED. Being TRENDY can occur for VERY GOOD musicians, who are NOT OVERRATED.

Agree or not?

Aaaaaaaah, and I hate how many (definitely NOT all) metal bands don't give a shit about how to harmonize a piece in a serious way, rather than using always power chords (and then call the beatles "simplistic"). Power chords are fine to be used once in a while, when the artist thinks they fit, but using them because you don't know how to use any other way, well, that sucks.

autumnsphere said:
parallel fifths and diminished fifths/fourths are absolutely against the harmony rules, they just don't sound good. they are dissonant intervals. and the only artists who MADE them sound good were the beatles.

and btw a parallel fifth is not a series of perfect fifth intervals. what you're saying is absurd - you can't have a parallel fifth between two successive chords.

this is absolutely not true. parallel fifths sound very pleasant. how could perfect intervals sound anything less? parallel fifths and fourths (as well as parallel octaves) were used in late medieval and early renaissance music. during the baroke period parallel fifths and octaves weren't used because having intervals with such close harmonic resonance moving together would make the parts more difficult to distinguish.

and you are incorrect, the previous definition of a parallel fifth is correct. a parallel fifth is a perfect fifth succeeded by another perfect fifth, such as:

c major triad in root position, followed by a d major triad in root position. notice the interval between c and g is a perfect fifth? and notice how d and a also has a perfect fifth. the solution to this problem is to invert the d major triad, to avoid parallel fifths.

Feanor IV said:
This whole talking is sooooo useless and stupid. My opinon:

1. I like the Beatles. Fine. You don't (or you like them but not so much). Fine again.

2. OVERRATED means that they were not as GOOD as poeple think. This is what Autumn... replied to.

3. TRENDY means that people listen to their music because it's "cool". This is what bothers you, as I see it in your posts. So, in a few words, even the best band in the world can have fans who are only there because the band's a wellknown name. Take Opeth for example, I think you like them. I also like them a lot. However, you won't disagree, many metalheads listen to them and "try" to like them, because they are considered a good, technical band. This is BAD for the people who do it, NOT for Opeth!

So, to sum up:

1. We can't argue if you must like the beatles or not.
2. Being TRENDY does not mean you are OVERRATED. Being TRENDY can occur for VERY GOOD musicians, who are NOT OVERRATED.

Agree or not?
The thing is the Beatles are both overated and trendy. I have explained why many times already and I see no point in repeating myself.

While I'm not much of a fan of the Beatles (less a few of their weird acid tripping influenced songs) I don't think they are overrated at all. That band went from "She Loves You... Yeah Yeah Yeah" to "I Am the Walrus." The experimentation and production they used )along with producer George Martin was completely ground breaking. Sure The Stones and Blue Cheer etc. were "heavier" but the accomplishments in their weird experimentation opened up the world to things like "Pink Floyd" etc.

Bryant

I totally agree with Crimsonfloyd. The beatles are overrated and that has nothing to do with their genious. I just think people take them a little too far sometimes. They did influence music, but thats what they did, they influenced. They did, but if you really want to get down to it, lets worship the 1st person to ever make music, a fuckin caveman pounding on a rock. That influenced everything. Who gives shit, someone was going to make that style of music eventually. They just brought better music into the world. They shoudnt be given credit of today, when they were given so much fucking credit for years, too much in my opinion.

yes the beatles made their music 1st, but that has nothing to do with how good they are and how they compare to todays music. Lets compare the music as a whole, not what they started. And when you do compare this, the beatles are overrated.

try to decifer the crude explanation of my thoughts. it makes sense.

**Stick a big fuckin "The Beatles Are OVERRRATED" sign here***