who's the heavy metal beatles?

who's the metal beatles?

• saigon kick

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • king's x

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
This struck me as the strangest question because I cant wrap my head around it. In what sense are you looking to compare a metal band to the Beatles ? Most important ground breakers of a new revolution in music? legendary? largely popular ? continously developing or changing career?

From those aspects it seems it would be Priest or Maiden for their stature and wide spred recognition in metal.

If you talking varying sounds or being experimental its such a hard call and seems it would lean toward more progressive bands, but the Beatles were downright quirky, doing some really bizare and strange music in what appeared to be just for kicks because they could and people would still love it because it was "The Beatles".

If you talking more in popular song count it seems it would lean more toward rambuncious rockers like VanHalen or Aerosmith which dont fall
into the entire "metal" formula. I suppose they would be closer to the Rolling Stones kind of thing.

Neither of the bands listed...but Dream Theater comes to mind.

I'm not gonna go into the topic discussion because it's not my cup of tea. But curious that you mention DT, Mike Portnoy is a huge fan of them, he has been in a tribute Beatles band and most definitively I think the covers done by Transatlantic both live and in studio are because of his (and Roine Stolt) fandom to the Liverpool quartet.

Dream Theater came out of the Rush, Kansas, ELP, Yes school of music

I still cant get the Beatles and a metal comparision into my head at the same time. As Jimi once sang... wait a minute somethings wrong here, this key just dont unlock the door

But as others have stated...Portnoy is a huge Beatles fan...he's even done tribute stuff. He & Petrucci are the main songwriters in DT. Plus, both bands are/were fairly eclectic.