Votes: 53 58.9%
  • No, the Beatles are not Overated

Votes: 37 41.1%

• Total voters

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Ok I've been arguing with a lot of people about this latley. Personally I think the Beatles are painfully overated. Lyrically they had a few good moments, but most of their lyrics were cheesy and cliched love lyrics or bad stoner/hippy bullshit, a lot of which makes no sense at all. As musicans none of them were perticuarly talented (they even had Eric Clapton do thier guitar solos on some of the later albums). As songwriters they did write some very good stuff but most of it is average to bad. Well its not like I'm saying they are horrible, they were good but they were not great. Still people act as if theres something very wrong with you if your not crazy about these guys. Thats where my biggest problem is, they are pherhaps the only band in the world that people freak out at you for not liking (well die hard fans of other bands and some elitests do with other bands, but everyone even people that don't realy like the Beatles freak out if you say you don't like them). Furthermore I think the majority of their fans, especailly the younger ones claim to like the Beatles just to fit in. In my school over half the people listen to the Beatles, and in America the Beatles are THE most popular group, and thats counting current artists, with kids the ages 15-22, or something like that. Anyways I'm sick of everyone worshiping a band that really wan't that great in most respects...

Agreed. They were very overrated. They weren't bad by any means, but some of the rock bands that emerged at nearly the same time or slightly later were pushing the guitar's capabilities in far more interesting directions. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin and The Who are a few obvious examples. The Beatles were good, but far from great.

VERY overrated.

"Tax Man" (is that the name?) has got to be one of the most horrendous songs I've ever heard.

(and yes, I've heard more of their songs than that^)

Of course they are overrated they are only popular because there wasn´t an alternative to them at the time they where huge.

crimsonfloyd said:
As musicans none of them were perticuarly talented (they even had Eric Clapton do thier guitar solos on some of the later albums). (...) Furthermore I think the majority of their fans, especailly the younger ones claim to like the Beatles just to fit in.
Excuse me, are you living on Mars? When did you post this, in 1967 or something?? Do you think there's a lot of people listening to the Beatles just to "fit in", NOW? :loco: In the 21st century???? Most people call me stupid for liking the Beatles, especially metalheads. So, it's perfectly ok liking or not liking the Beatles, but come on, be serious!

Oh, and by the way, if someone has a guest on his album this is a proof that he's a bad musician?? Aaah, and by the way, McCartney's voice was not "particularly good", uh? Whatever....

They were not overated- musically they werent exactly the best- but as a band they were the rock pioneers, without them rock may never have become popular, it may have gone the way of jazz or blues.

How many bands could have captured the worlds attention?

Feanor IV said:
Excuse me, are you living on Mars? When did you post this, in 1967 or something?? Do you think there's a lot of people listening to the Beatles just to "fit in", NOW? :loco: In the 21st century???? Most people call me stupid for liking the Beatles, especially metalheads. So, it's perfectly ok liking or not liking the Beatles, but come on, be serious!

Oh, and by the way, if someone has a guest on his album this is a proof that he's a bad musician?? Aaah, and by the way, McCartney's voice was not "particularly good", uh? Whatever....
Where I live over fifty percent of the kids listen to the Beatles and some have even admitted to me that they mostly listen to them to fit in. And there was a poll done by Entertainemt Magazine (I think it was ebtertainment but it could have been some other mag) and like I said Beatles were most THE popular band with teenagers/ young adults (early 20's). Its proff that if a guiatrest has someone else do ALL the solos on their album and don't put it in the credits, they're trying to make themselves sound a lot better then they really are. And McCartney's voice was not that interesting, John had the best voice of the gruop if you ask me, but of couse thats all opinion...

i used to, but I can't really deny the impact they had on rock/pop music at the time.... think about it, every single song you heard back then were just repetitve 2 1/2 minute love songs (just like their early material) and then out of nowhere came this 7 minute single called Hey Jude. Their willingness to break down barriers in the mainstream is something i respect...

Ultra-high overrated!

Now The Rolling Stones, that's a band :Smokin:

fuck you all. you dont have a clue. you think arch enemy and children of boredom and the lot of modern metal bands are way better... that says enough like. :Smug:

give me one song of a modern metalband that contains so much feeling and emotion and musicianship as in (in the refrain of) the beatles' 'fool on the hill'

pff! :lol:

Mariner said:
fuck you all. you dont have a clue. you think arch enemy and children of boredom and the lot of modern metal bands are way better... that says enough like. :Smug:

give me one song of a modern metalband that contains so much feeling and emotion and musicianship as in (in the refrain of) the beatles' 'fool on the hill'

pff! :lol:
What are you completly nieve about anything and everything in music!?!?!?
Ok that song is musically very simple and not too emotional either. If you want more emotional song listen to Mayhem's song Necrolust. Or emotional and musicanship together try basically anything by Opeth, lets pick The Moor, but really any Opeth song out does that one. I mean seriously do you know what musicanship and emotion are? I mean even I know that the Beatles have songs far superior in those two catagories, why'd you pick that one?

I mean even I know that the Beatles have songs far superior in those two catagories, why'd you pick that one?
Because that's what personal taste is all about!! What the fuck?

But I don't agree with Mariner's statement "give me one song of a modern metalband that contains so much feeling and emotion and musicianship as in (in the refrain of) the beatles' 'fool on the hill'" for the same reason. There's no such thing as an emotionmeter, so someone else may find the fool simply borring.

Feanor IV said:
Because that's what personal taste is all about!! What the fuck?

But I don't agree with Mariner's statement "give me one song of a modern metalband that contains so much feeling and emotion and musicianship as in (in the refrain of) the beatles' 'fool on the hill'" for the same reason. There's no such thing as an emotionmeter, so someone else may find the fool simply borring.
Personal taste for emotional presence, yes to some degree, but "musicanship" as he likes to call it, no. You can tell when one band writes a more sophistocated song then another, and this song is simple as hell.

Im shocked the beatles are losing in the poll. Apparently metal fnas on this site are afraid of emotion, and they have no understanding of music history either- for shame people.

Even if one hates the beatles, one must acknowledge they are the reason rock became popular.

speed said:
Im shocked the beatles are losing in the poll. Apparently metal fnas on this site are afraid of emotion, and they have no understanding of music history either- for shame people.

Even if one hates the beatles, one must acknowledge they are the reason rock became popular.
You are the type of dumb fuck that leads to there being millions of mindless clones out there worshiping a good but not great band. Let me clairify that I think the Beatles are good, and in the right persons eyes could be great. However for them to have as many fans as they do is rediculous they simply are not that good.

Ok now onto your post, the Beatles are no more emotional then your typical metal band they just convey it in a different way. And there are many metal bands (and rock or singer/songwirter stuff for that matter) that is way more forward with their emotion, so no I don't think its that people here are afriad of emotion.

Ok next point just because someone is influencial it doesn't mean their music is great. And the question is not are they good, its are they overated, theres a differnce. Musically they are not so good that they should be so universally recognized as being brilliant.

Its funny if I started a similar poll about say, the Doors people wouldn't act like I was commiting a crime, some would disagree, but it wouldn't be like this. It has literally become taboo to say anything bad about this band. If a band is that praised, then how can they not be overated?

The Beatles are the most overrated and overhyped band of all time. That should be an undisputed fact. Their music was simplistic, dull, and derivative until the point that they started experimenting with drugs. Once that happened they started paving new ground, but it was very uninteresting, tedious ground. From around '65 - '68 they were innovating, but King Crimson came around in '69 and blew everything they did out of the water with the opening notes of their debut album. Sure they were influential, but it's possible to be influenced by crap and make something great out of it or to even adapt a previous crappy song / movie / book / whatever and make something great out of it (recent movie adaptations of the tedious, overwrought, and poorly written LOTR saga springs to mind). I'm not going to even say the Beatles were a good band. In my mind, that's a lie. They were a HORRIBLE band. Completely untalented, just very lucky. And the populous liked them, that's an indictment of their lack of talent enough.