the Genre of Opeth..

I think extreme progressive metal sits them well. cos emotional, its in the lyrics not the music

Extreme Progressive Metal would be the best way to describe it. Remember, Orchid and Morningrise had elements of Black Metal.

BTW did anyone else here know that they've been called "Forest Meta"l before? LOL

I hate the progressive death tag, despite the fact that Death, etc. are good and innovative bands, I hate that the genre tag lumps a band with a unique sound like Opeth in with all the bands that simply play generic death metal with a time signature change or something tossed in every once in a while. I think a genre is supposed to give you a faint clue of what a band sounds like, and if someone told me Opeth was a progressive death metal band, there's a damn good chance I wouldn't bother to check them out.

I think a genre is supposed to give you a faint clue of what a band sounds like.

This.

Its pretty impossible to describe a bands music with just a couple of words most of the time. In fact it only applies to the bands who created the genre originally and boring copycat bands. Other than that respectable musicians would not totally imitate their influences so there you go, they alter the music to the extend it no longer is described by the original concept of the genre.

Ye, this band can't be compared to any other band, whereas Kreator and Destruction for example...

Even labeled "Prgressive death metal" donesn't match with Opeth, so let's consider they're a genre by their own.

Ye, this band can't be compared to any other band, whereas Kreator and Destruction for example...

Even labeled "Prgressive death metal" donesn't match with Opeth, so let's consider they're a genre by their own.

Yes... "Opeth" is a new genre :p

Opeth are not a genre by their own. They are fucking "progressive death metal". A genre is supposed to be large enough to regroup a certain amount of bands with certain particularities. A genre must not be absolutely accurate so please everyone shut the fuck up about Opeth being their own fucking genre. Now go die.

Well they're just playing alone in this category :p

You forgot about the rip-offs.