the Genre of Opeth..

^^ I get what you're saying but like I said, progressive death metal normally defines bands like Death and Atheist, and neither band sounds anything like Opeth...I mean I know they don't have to be absolutely alike but if you're going to compare typical prog/tech death bands with Opeth, we might as well just make "black" "death" and "doom" interchangeable too.

^^ People must make a distinction "Technical Death Metal" and "Progressive Death Metal" because bands like Death or Atheist - for example - don't sound like what prog music sounds like, so it has nothing to do with being progressive. It is merely technical.

It should have satanic in it beause of teh satanist lyrics and their beliefs, and progressive because of their voice sounds are sometimes not growling.

Mr Samsara, please use this:
258Troll_spray.jpg

But this thread is pretty much:
beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Mr Samsara, I thought that because they use satan or demons in alot of their songs.

"Devil cracked the earthly shell"
"And dismiss your demons"
"The eyes of the devil"
"The hands of Satan"
backwards "I see you my sweet Satan come back tonight out of the courtyard"
"Kept demons inside"

And I have also now learned that they have a song called demon of the fall.

Serenity now, I was telling my opinon about Opeth, that is not trolling, but putting up dead horse pictures is. John Candy is a terrible actor if you ask me. :p

Mr Samsara, I thought that because they use satan or demons in alot of their songs.

"Devil cracked the earthly shell"
"And dismiss your demons"
"The eyes of the devil"
"The hands of Satan"
backwards "I see you my sweet Satan come back tonight out of the courtyard"
"Kept demons inside"

Holy shit man, are you serious?

if you call this satanic...then You...you...must...holy shit again, I can't believe I'm actually answering to this completely aberrant post.

@Tonytonetonetyone : You are not trolling but obviously talking about something you don't know. Do not suggest that Opeth are satanist, that's ridiculous, they aren't. Indeed, Mikael talks a lot about occultism in his lyrics but he never expressed the profound desire to "rape the bastard son of god" and never "mocked the cross" in Opeth. So please, go buy some knowledge about it.

lol the dude is obviously trolling

opeth isn't a death metal band eos. the only similarities that they have with death metal bands are growls and double bass (sometimes.) many of the chord progressions and chords themselves are not chords used by death metal bands. I also dont see many dm bands suddenly breaking out into acoustic sections. I'd be hesitant to even call orchid/morningrise dm, as while they certainly have the characteristic dual guitars of many melodeath bands of the time - they still were using quite a lot of acoustic sections, clean vocals, and almost funky bass parts at times.