Idle Speculation on "Criminals"

Bezrael

Aug 23, 2002
I usually focus more on music than on lyrics, and I rarely concern myself with what the lyrics mean. But something kept coming back to me on "Criminals," and I was wondering what the rest of you thought.

I think it's about the movie "Road to Perdition." I wish I had a screenplay so I could do a direct comparison, but I'll have to make due. I've only seen the movie once, so pardon me if I forget something important. There are minor spoilers herein. Here's my line-by-line from the lyrics:

"Criminals" - The movie concerns the lives of criminals.

"The way the light hits the road" - Michael Sullivan and his son spend a great deal of time on the road in the movie, and the cinematography focuses is on this as it relates to the title of the movie and its theme.

"The way I am unable to protect you" - Michael Sullivan is concerned for the life of his son, but more importantly, he is concerned that his son will follow in his footsteps, something from which his son cannot be protected.

"I'm running away" - Michael Sullivan is attempting to escape from both the immediate danger and the sins of his past.

"I will never forgive myself / for running away from you" - He was forced to leave his wife after her death, without a second's pause for mourning. Or, perhaps it concerns Mr. Sullivan's using work to "run away" from his son prior to the incident--he is clearly distant from his children up until that point--which prevented him from instilling in his son the values which would prevent him from following in his father's footsteps.

"He came back to your house" - Not sure. Perhaps concerning Connor coming to the Sullivan house to slay them?

"I didn't take it as a promise / Always thought it was a lie" - ?

"He went too far, the fucker" - Connor went too far, stealing from Mr. Rooney, killing Sullivan's family, and so on.

"It's not like I owe him money / This is different" - The feud is not over money, as most mob feuds are. It's not business; it's personal.

"So gather your strength and break free / Or you will surely die" - Mr. Sullivan to his son: break free from me and my influence, or you will find yourself living my life, which will inevitably kill you.

"Gather your strength don't follow me / 'Cause I will surely die" - A reiteration of the last line. Also, perhaps something like, "I'm fucked, and there's nothing that can be done about now. Don't get yourself in the same situation."

I think I've made my point. What do you think?

Isn't it, "he came back to OUR house"? Why is everyone writing it differently? Surely my booklet isn't printed incorrectly...

I pulled it off DarkLyrics. Listening more closely to the song, it sound like either "her house" or "our house." The booklet says, "our house," so I'll go with that. Also, it fits with my idea more ("our house" as in "our family's").

Not meaning to offend you, but those lyrics could relate to a lot of movies with similar themes. (escaping something, etc...) Like our beloved Terminator 2 - Judgment Day:

:D

"The way the light hits the road" - Those terminators arrived with the huge lighting effect, remember?

"The way I am unable to protect you" - John Connor's adopt parents were killed by the T-1000 and he couldn't do a damn thing to protect them.

"I'm running away" - Yeah, he has to since there's a bad-ass terminator behind him.

"I will never forgive myself / for running away from you" - This 'bout the adopt parents (ok why not 'bout his real mom too). He's sorry for acting like a stupid rebel-teenager.

"He came back to our house" - Yup. That Ahnold came back.

"I didn't take it as a promise / Always thought it was a lie" - That's because in the first movie the killer looked awfully like mr. Schwarzenegger. But people who's seen this movie knows the big twist is that Arnold ain't the baddie this time.

"He went too far, the fucker" - Obviously. Arnold in the first and Robert Patrick in the second movie, killing everything in their way.

"It's not like I owe him money / This is different" - Really different. There's a machine from future trying to kill him.

"So gather your strength and break free / Or you will surely die" - To his real mom, Sarah, who's locked up in a hospital.

"Gather your strength don't follow me / 'Cause I will surely die" - He's almost certain this is the end. Afterall there's that almost indestructible killing machine behind him.

:cool:

Crack Hitler said:
Not meaning to offend you, but those lyrics could relate to a lot of movies with similar themes. (escaping something, etc...) Like our beloved Terminator 2 - Judgment Day:

:D

"The way the light hits the road" - Those terminators arrived with the huge lighting effect, remember?

"The way I am unable to protect you" - John Connor's adopt parents were killed by the T-1000 and he couldn't do a damn thing to protect them.

"I'm running away" - Yeah, he has to since there's a bad-ass terminator behind him.

"I will never forgive myself / for running away from you" - This 'bout the adopt parents (ok why not 'bout his real mom too). He's sorry for acting like a stupid rebel-teenager.

"He came back to our house" - Yup. That Ahnold came back.

"I didn't take it as a promise / Always thought it was a lie" - That's because in the first movie the killer looked awfully like mr. Schwarzenegger. But people who's seen this movie knows the big twist is that Arnold ain't the baddie this time.

"He went too far, the fucker" - Obviously. Arnold in the first and Robert Patrick in the second movie, killing everything in their way.

"It's not like I owe him money / This is different" - Really different. There's a machine from future trying to kill him.

"So gather your strength and break free / Or you will surely die" - To his real mom, Sarah, who's locked up in a hospital.

"Gather your strength don't follow me / 'Cause I will surely die" - He's almost certain this is the end. Afterall there's that almost indestructible killing machine behind him.

:cool:

:):)
funny!
Well there is also a book by P. Djian called "Criminels", but ok, you can find so many connections with this song!

I'm certain that the themes of "Criminals" match up much more closely than the themes of any other movie of which I am aware. Doesn't mean that "Criminals" is without a doubt based on "Road to Perdition," but the connections are especially close on this one.

Fuk! That's an interesting interpretation... I was always thinking that only Jonas knows what the fuck he means... as it all looks like shapes of consciousness in the lyrics.

Though, I've asked him recently about "Criminals" and "We must bury you" if it's some kind of phobia, he said that I've "pretty much hit the nail, because this is what he writes about, because the more time passes by, he gets more paranoid and sees things which don't exist". So I guess that's a kind of answer... Dunno, hehe. If I ever transcribe my interview from the tape, I will post it.

yak, nice interpretations...
But Jonas must read some books at last(??)
Dispossession said:
... as it all looks like shapes of consciousness in the lyrics. Though ... he said ... "he gets more paranoid and sees things which don't exist". ... I will post it.
hehe, unawared paranoiac got closer to common world-it's more paranoid than before. COOL :D and yeah it should be posted if possible... ;)

yv said:
yak, nice interpretations...
But Jonas must read some books at last(??)

hehe, unawared paranoiac got closer to common world-it's more paranoid than before. COOL :D and yeah it should be posted if possible... ;)

This murder/death/criminal paranoia appeals to me, I've been having (or still do sometimes) such phobias myself, out of the blue usually, so I kinda know the deal. Yuck.

sorry if my sweet 666 doesn't satisfy you but-no, no black hair unfortunately :cry:

I'd had them blackened once, but even my late grandma looked younger. Now all I have to show is 'UNDERNEATH MY CLOTHES' and yeah 'IT'S AN ENDLESS STORY'
ops, I DiD It Again' instead of you :)