IE: Gettysburg

Kelly

Steve's #1 fan
May 16, 2001
Philly
Visit site
Mark Briody, JAG PANZER guitarist who also doubles as a computer graphics videophile has reported that the long awaited Gettysburg video, originally slated to accompany the release of ICED EARTH's Glorious Burden, will be out at the end of February.

As previously reported the DVD features a documentary of Jon Schaffer and Tim Owens wandering the
Gettysburg battlefield, recounting the historical locations and events. Musically, there is a full symphonic reworking of the lengthy 'Gettysburg' tune and a more "rock video" style presentation, with visual enhancements.

:yow:
How awesome is this? I have been waiting and waiting ! That tour seems like a million years ago. Who went to it?

I've been a die-hard Iced Earth fan for years!
Iced Earth hit So Cal right around my birthday back in May, so I was able to catch the show 3 times. Trilogy sounded amazing live, overall mix was great.
Santolla was a poor choice for the band though, very sloppy guitarist live.
He also cannot hang with Jon's riffing, he honestly messed up almost every riff. Luckily Jon & Jimmy were dominating the mix most of the time.

Tim is a great fit for the band, and I look forward to the next disc!
I don't really miss Barlow at all, and thats coming from someone who's been heavily into the band for a long time.

Zac

I saw them twice as well Av in Philly and in Jersey, I love living in the tri state area so I can see gigs in Jersey, Philly and NYC.

Hey Zac, I love Ripper with the band as well he sounded awesome live and he fits well with IE's overall image. I do miss Matt Barlow though, his voice is gorgeous and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard he was leaving. I'm just glad they were able to get such a qualified singer to replace him.

How cool would it be to have IE and JP play together!:hotjump:

I definitely like Barlow the best of all of IE's myriad of singers. Nonetheless Tim is a great fit for the band and the Glorious Burden is a tremendous CD. Of course hearing them live is also a hell of a show, and looking ahead I think they'll be making some great stuff with Ripper in the future.

No matter what "era" of IE you listen to I think it has its own flavor and appeal. The earlier stuff, the Barlow stuff, and the Ripper stuff all sounds fresh and new compared to what came before it. I think that's what makes Iced Earth such a great band.

Kelly said:
I saw them twice as well Av in Philly and in Jersey, I love living in the tri state area so I can see gigs in Jersey, Philly and NYC.

Hey Zac, I love Ripper with the band as well he sounded awesome live and he fits well with IE's overall image. I do miss Matt Barlow though, his voice is gorgeous and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard he was leaving. I'm just glad they were able to get such a qualified singer to replace him.

How cool would it be to have IE and JP play together!:hotjump:

I never did see the photos from that IE/JP gig, Kells
Do you still have them about ?

It was so cool to hang out in front of the Troc and talk to the guys in JP.
Great bunch of guys !
:worship:

Zac said:
I've been a die-hard Iced Earth fan for years!
Iced Earth hit So Cal right around my birthday back in May, so I was able to catch the show 3 times. Trilogy sounded amazing live, overall mix was great.
Santolla was a poor choice for the band though, very sloppy guitarist live.
He also cannot hang with Jon's riffing, he honestly messed up almost every riff. Luckily Jon & Jimmy were dominating the mix most of the time.

Tim is a great fit for the band, and I look forward to the next disc!
I don't really miss Barlow at all, and thats coming from someone who's been heavily into the band for a long time.

Zac

I think Tim rules in Iced Earth, and Jon and the rest of the boys kicked ass. I strongly disagree with your comment regarding Ralph. When I saw him, he was on fire, his solos sounded amazing and the riffs were so tight man! Plus, he is one nice guy, we were on the second floor and spotted him downstairs so we yelled for him to come up and sign autographs, and he came about 20 seconds later. Man, I can't wait for another Iced Earth Cd. Does anybody have any DVD bootleggs of the last tour?

MrMayhem said:
I never did see the photos from that IE/JP gig, Kells
Do you still have them about ?

It was so cool to hang out in front of the Troc and talk to the guys in JP.
Great bunch of guys !
:worship:

Too true Murph..... I was blown away that they were in my tiny little hamlet and that I saw them the previous night in Jersey LOL .. and how awesome they sounded and how nice they were to meet and greet with us.
As to the pictures, yeah I still have them... they are delicious! ;)

CauldronBorn said:
I think Tim rules in Iced Earth, and Jon and the rest of the boys kicked ass. I strongly disagree with your comment regarding Ralph. When I saw him, he was on fire, his solos sounded amazing and the riffs were so tight man! Plus, he is one nice guy, we were on the second floor and spotted him downstairs so we yelled for him to come up and sign autographs, and he came about 20 seconds later. Man, I can't wait for another Iced Earth Cd. Does anybody have any DVD bootleggs of the last tour?

I have to agree with Zac, Ralph's one of those guitar players that was too cool to spend much time becoming a solid rhythm player, so he knows his scales, modes and flashy bullshit lead stuff really well, but he can't keep up with John's rhythm playing. He also overuses sweep-picked arpeggios, he was even throwing them in to solos from Randy (Shawver) and Larry's (Tarnowsky) albums. When you replace a guitarist, play their parts note for note the way they played it, put your stamp on the songs that you create with the band. That way you prove to the fans your worhty to replace your predecessor (s). Santolla just didn't do that with Iced Earth.

Now, I like Barlow much better than Ripper personally...I do dig IE a lot, yes I do, but just not a Ripper fan. Now, I commend Santolla for trying to put his mark on the old songs. You say "play the old solos note for note" and I say listen to Judas Priest's Painkiller then follow that with Death's cover of the same song and tell me that there are no improvements by Mr. Schuldiner. I used to play in a King Diamond/Mercyful Fate cover band and always threw in some of my own flavor, albeit using some of the original solo so it keeps its flavor, so it would still have my mark on it. I don't think I'm the greatest guitarist in the world, but I do try my damnedest to make quality metal when I write/play something. I played rhythm guitar for 6 years before taking the step to learn lead, am self taught, and still know NO music theory besides little snippets I've picked up here and there along the way by playing with other musicians. Most of the old Dischord stuff (my old band) I put a lot of harmonies together for it and to be honest it has a very unique sound because of it. We did that out of necessity (no bassist) at first, but it became our sound, and when I had Bernt Oterholt (the Mad Norwegian) add basslines to the tracks it made it more full, more harmonic, and much better. Now in those days I was really just starting to play lead, so I let Andy (Owens) do most of the leadwork...nowadays I listen to that old stuff and when I hear most of Andy's solos I wish I'd done them or changed them or had him do so...very repetitious and very unimaginative, but at the time it's where I was as a musician. Lead just wasn't within my grasp at that point, not really, though I do enjoy the ones I do on the old stuff because I put my all in it and was not repetitive, each solo for each song has its own flavor, its own style, and still sounds like me playing it.

Again, I commend him for this...without originality, we lose ourselves in the teaching of others and find that we become unimaginative clones.

Cheers!

Dischord said:
Now, I like Barlow much better than Ripper personally...I do dig IE a lot, yes I do, but just not a Ripper fan. Now, I commend Santolla for trying to put his mark on the old songs. You say "play the old solos note for note" and I say listen to Judas Priest's Painkiller then follow that with Death's cover of the same song and tell me that there are no improvements by Mr. Schuldiner. I used to play in a King Diamond/Mercyful Fate cover band and always threw in some of my own flavor, albeit using some of the original solo so it keeps its flavor, so it would still have my mark on it. I don't think I'm the greatest guitarist in the world, but I do try my damnedest to make quality metal when I write/play something. I played rhythm guitar for 6 years before taking the step to learn lead, am self taught, and still know NO music theory besides little snippets I've picked up here and there along the way by playing with other musicians. Most of the old Dischord stuff (my old band) I put a lot of harmonies together for it and to be honest it has a very unique sound because of it. We did that out of necessity (no bassist) at first, but it became our sound, and when I had Bernt Oterholt (the Mad Norwegian) add basslines to the tracks it made it more full, more harmonic, and much better. Now in those days I was really just starting to play lead, so I let Andy (Owens) do most of the leadwork...nowadays I listen to that old stuff and when I hear most of Andy's solos I wish I'd done them or changed them or had him do so...very repetitious and very unimaginative, but at the time it's where I was as a musician. Lead just wasn't within my grasp at that point, not really, though I do enjoy the ones I do on the old stuff because I put my all in it and was not repetitive, each solo for each song has its own flavor, its own style, and still sounds like me playing it.

Again, I commend him for this...without originality, we lose ourselves in the teaching of others and find that we become unimaginative clones.

Cheers!

I just think that Santolla was great on the studio album, but he didn't have the rhythm chops to keep up with John live. Also, he seems to use those sweeping arpeggios, which are cool, as a crutch for a lack of a sense of melody on the older stuff almost like he couldn't play the original lick, or thought he was too cool to.

But, my favorite guitarist is Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden, I don't dig alot of flash in a lead/solo I prefer to start with a melody an build from that foundation.