DVD news...

Firehead said:
Fuk u. U R gay lik Jag Panzurh.

Wow. you got past the filter, pat yourself in the back, you should be proud :tickled:. AND you managed to write an almost coherent sentence?! you're on a roll today...

Iced In Flames said:
Ok then. Why do you neanderthals post here if you hate Iced Earth?

The fact that I don't like where they are heading has nothing to do with how much I enjoy their earlier work. Plus, you have to admit that ragging on Jon Schaffer is so much fun.

Personally, I think TGB is pretty good. There's a couple of dud songs on there, and some of the riffs are pretty boring, but Ripper's vocals fucking slay on that album and generally it seems to work... for me, at least.

From the Amazon.com description it looks to be the history lesson dvd we're dreading..

In three parts (The Devil To Pay, Hold At All Costs, High Water Mark), Iced Earth narrate the historic events that took place in that legendary location in Pennsylvania in July 1863, when the Confederate troops met the Union in the most blood-soaked battle ever on American soil. Iced Earth and their Gettysburg DVD chronicle this dramatic historic subject in language, images and sound more comprehensively than any other rock band before them. "I’ve visited the original battle sites several times and read a lot of books about the subject", says Schaffer. "But I’d never claim to be an expert on the battle of Gettysburg because I realise that one can study the battle for an entire lifetime and learn something new at every opportunity; which proves how very complex this whole thing really is." It’s precisely this complex attitude that Iced Earth explore on their current double DVD. An epic video in three chapters featuring the complete Gettysburg track is at the centre of disc one. The Iced Earth epic (in 5.1 metal mix, 5.1 orchestral mix and stereo sound, as well as the option of blending in the original lyrics of the track) is accompanied by atmospherically dense pictures, telling the story of that monumental battle. The ‘Battlefied Tour’ sequence shows Jon Schaffer at the battlefield with Ted Gajewski, one of the official Gettysburg tourist guides, who explains the different stages of the battle in front of the camera. The DVD also shows important paintings, arms and memorabilia. "Gettysburg was without doubt one of the turning points of the American Civil War. But was it the decisive one?" Schaffer asks, going beyond what most movie classics have told us. "My opinion is: the course of events couldn’t have been stopped, with or without this bloodbath."

Lopes said:
The fact that I don't like where they are heading has nothing to do with how much I enjoy their earlier work. Plus, you have to admit that ragging on Jon Schaffer is so much fun.

I think there are many people that feel the same way. Mainly people that have followed the band for most of their career. I for one, still consider myself a new fan, though I have been one for the last three years. I can't wait for the DVD, as I liked The Glorious Burden. I'm excited about what they have in store for us on the next record. Again, I'm just speaking for myself, I understand that the feedback that is expressed by some might be seen as an attack. But they are just passionate about the band's earlier works & would like a return to that "style" of metal. And what do we really gain from blasting one another over disagreements?

BlindPanzer said:
... accompanied by atmospherically dense pictures ...

Does anyone have a guess as what that means??

I'm still pondering buying this DVD. I kind of like the fact that Jon is doing something out of the norm. But I also don't want to watch Jon just walking around battlefields (I've already been there myself) and then watch a music video of TGB with those "atmospherically dense pictures".

Force10 said:
Does anyone have a guess as what that means??

I'm still pondering buying this DVD. I kind of like the fact that Jon is doing something out of the norm. But I also don't want to watch Jon just walking around battlefields (I've already been there myself) and then watch a music video of TGB with those "atmospherically dense pictures".

"atmospherically dense pictures" Lol! Thats a good one.

It's basically a mix of video, civil war era photos, modern photography, cgi and fog/fire/smoke. All of it follows the storyline of the song.

For example - On the chorus of 'Hold at all Costs' you see images of John Bell Hood and Joshua Chamberlain. Behind them the camera is panning over Devils Den or the Wheatfield. On top off all of that is heavy smoke and gunfire.

Basically, if 'The History Channel' did a documentary on Gettysburg, you'd probably see the Hood, Chamberlain photos and the shots of Devils Den and the Wheatfield. Iced Earth's 'Gettysburg' retains the historical accuracy, but the imagery is much more intense and heavier looking.

Mark