The Glorious Cheesefest

To the ones bashing the new album, if you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT!!! I've loved Iced Earth ever since I stuck SWTWC in my cd player and nothing will change that. About Jon alienating Europeans with his patriotic attitude, they can get over it. I'm patriotic about my country and I do know what most Europeans think about it.

I guess this is a matter of opinion...

Let me get this straight, writing about true, bloody, tragic events seems corny?

Silver Sable said:
I am worried about the content of the next cd. I seriously don't know if he can pull it off without it being an ultra cheesfest, and I think it will alienate some of his European audience who could really care less about US history. Nothing to do but wait and see.

What about all people who could care less about history in general? As long as the music's good, what does it matter?

People are going to have to keep an open mind on things such as American History.

I don't think his ego is anywhere near large. Afterall, he did say "You deserve it". Someone with a massive ego would care only for himself.

Depth Charge said:
Man, the way Jon is describing this album, it's gonna be the gayest record on the planet. Gettysburg song with all types of drums and shit? C'mon, how CORNY is that. Jon, get over yourself. Iced Earth isn't an "epic" band. If you're in a metal band, and take yourself WAYYY too seriously, it's time to rethink the gameplan.

"I want to write epic Iced Earth novels, and have movies made based on Iced Earth."

-Jon Schaffer

I like the concept. I think Jon does have a big ego. I think if the band were to get to be as big as like a Metallica or Legendary as an Iron Maiden, then we'd all be in trouble. Most musicians have a big ego. I think Jon is more of a perfectionist than an egomaniac. The comment he made about epic & novels is a bit much for any fan to swallow that's for sure.

At first I thought a whole album devoted to American History might be a bit cheesey and tiresome in places, but now that it is getting nearer I am much more confident about it. After all, Horror Show and other concept/theme albums don't sound that promising at first but have pursisted to blow me away.

As for Jon writing epics, I think IE is already in a position capable of writing epics. Dante's Inferno, The Trilogy, and more importantly TPOG are all epics. Jon has said he was planning on making TPOG about 6 minutes longer, but deadlines and constraints got in the way of doing it the way he wanted to. As some people have said above, Jon has more than enough passion, drive and knowledge to right an epic about American History, so I don't think it is in bad hands. Hell, if I heard the concept behind Maiden's 'Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' before I heard the song I might be worried, but the song kicks all kinds of arse, as it was handled correctly. Also, Jon didn't set out to write a 30 minute epic, it just got out of control, so obviously he has thought of extra bits to put in etc, so I don't think it will get repetative at all.

As for TGB being a too positive album, I think it will have both positive and very negative songs, and I can't wait to hear the whole damn thing! :headbang:

I think everyone is mistaking Jon's "ego". To me, ego = PRIDE! His songs are his children, and that is something very personal. Most all of you would probably feel the same way if you were in his position.

It's too bad people have to diss the new stuff before we hear it. How constructive is that?

Look, lyrical topics aside, we all know Jon well enough to know that the new album is going to be heavy metal, and isn't that enough? To me it is....

I think it`s fine for Jon that he is doing what he likes and i think the music of TGB will be great but i think i won`t stand the lyrics. Maybe i am ignorant but for myself i am doing hard about finding any positive thing about american history (killing the natives, infecting the whole world with it`s culture...).

Like it was said at the beginning of the Thread: Do what you want Jon but not with me this time.

Orome said:
I think it`s fine for Jon that he is doing what he likes and i think the music of TGB will be great but i think i won`t stand the lyrics. Maybe i am ignorant but for myself i am doing hard about finding any positive thing about american history (killing the natives, infecting the whole world with it`s culture...).

Like it was said at the beginning of the Thread: Do what you want Jon but not with me this time.

I didn't have a problem learning about the history of Germany. I don't see why you would have a problem learning about the History of the USA. Why are you making yourself ignorant? Quite frankly, you should grasp this opportunity. There's no need to close your mind to something.

Come on guys! Wait till you see the final result!
Look at St-Anger, how much people bragged it would be the next master of puppets, and it's light years away...
I don't give a fuck of what a band have to say about their newest material when it's not released yet. They work their ass for it and are proud of themselves, that doesn't mean it'S good or bad, just that they are proud of it and like it for themselves.
:)

Reactions: Cthulhu
Cracks me up all these german dudes talkin shit about U.S. history. Yea we wacked a couple of savages, nothing compared to your nations compassionate past. As for the culture invasion, if you don't like it don't eat at Mcdonalds, and dont listin to nu-metal. Case closed.

man, that's not cool bringing nazi's into it. most germans didn't want the nazi's to do that shit. and most of the "nazi" army was the german army from what i understand... they were taking orders, not acting as they wished. No wonder the rest of the world sees us as fuckin' ignorant.