The Glorious Cheesefest

Metal has a pretty high cheese rate in general...power, black & glam in particular, the southern Black Label/Pantera-type stuff and thrash least of all, with death, prog, and various other stuff hanging around in the middle. That's a judgment call, though.

Anyway, I agree there are negative facets to American history (especially if you study beyond the government-approved version), but the Glorious Burden is definitely going to have a very "triumphant" feel because of Jon's patriotism. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I just prefer to hear more negative topics.

You dont know the lyrical content of these songs yet, for all we know they will be along the lines of War Ensemble or something in that vein, not cheese.

Yes, Jon's ego is alittle...big, but hell, so would mine if i made albums as great as IE's!!! As for the Glorious Burden, I expect epic stuff from IE. Night Of The Stormrider, Dante's Inferno, The Something Wicked Triogy, Phantom Opera Ghost, Damien, not to mention the shorter songs with all their many time changes and what not. I can't wait.

what does it matter if he's egoistical? it's not like he's gonna go to your house and talk you down or something.
As long as the music is good then I don't care if he likes to think of himself as the biggest cock on the planet

Depth Charge said:
Man, the way Jon is describing this album, it's gonna be the gayest record on the planet. Gettysburg song with all types of drums and shit? C'mon, how CORNY is that. Jon, get over yourself. Iced Earth isn't an "epic" band. If you're in a metal band, and take yourself WAYYY too seriously, it's time to rethink the gameplan.

Christalive, what is your obsession with "corny"? Are you 12 years old or something? If it bothers you that much, why are you even bothering posting in Metal forums?

I find it quite interesting that, most of the time, 'cheese' in Metal is directly proportional to quality ^_^ it's just a euphanism used by posers to hide the fact they're scared that their mates will laugh at them...

Ayeka said:
Christalive, what is your obsession with "corny"? Are you 12 years old or something? If it bothers you that much, why are you even bothering posting in Metal forums?

I find it quite interesting that, most of the time, 'cheese' in Metal is directly proportional to quality ^_^ it's just a euphanism used by posers to hide the fact they're scared that their mates will laugh at them...

zing

Reactions: Ayeka
I already said this in another thread, but what most people consider to be one of the best metal albums created, and Justice for all, was the same shit. Gettysburg was a bloddy fucking battle. Just cuz you are ignorant on american history doesn't mean it's going to be cheesy. maybe it will teach you something. And I don't know what band you are listening to, but IE have been an epic band ever since their second album. Jon is just now taking it to a level that he couldn't do under the CM contract.

But if you think it's going to be gay then don't buy it. I don't think they will give a rat's ass about you.

Reactions: Ayeka
*snort* I don't think Iced earth is about to release a CD with orgasmic moans on it any time soon.

However, that said and done, the lyrics arn't vastly meaningful now either, but that's not the point really. I doubt a concept CD about gettusburg will result in not iced earth sound.

Cthulhu From Beyond

i predicted he would do something like this 2 years ago, and i was right....and i'm excited because it's something i haven't yet heard a metal band do so it's going to be quite interesting and i don't really know what i'm gonna get, but i'm sure it's going to be cool \m/

i wouldn't say TGB is cheesy or corny from what i have heard. a good example of this is horror show. granted that there was a theme behind it, and granted that it was very evident, but the album is still amazing and its not a "load", "reload", or "risk". so far, i have high anticipations of "the glorious burden" cuz after R2R, i have my hopes up for TGB and on top of it, if you look at it this way, jon knows what he's doing, but then again, i wouldn't say its guaranteed, not that i am implying anything, but histroy has shown otherwise with "other bands".

Depth Charge said:
Man, the way Jon is describing this album, it's gonna be the gayest record on the planet. Gettysburg song with all types of drums and shit? C'mon, how CORNY is that. Jon, get over yourself. Iced Earth isn't an "epic" band. If you're in a metal band, and take yourself WAYYY too seriously, it's time to rethink the gameplan.

"I want to write epic Iced Earth novels, and have movies made based on Iced Earth."

-Jon Schaffer

I'm not worried about Jon's ego. We all know he has it, and so far it has kept him genuine, and in control of his band.

I am worried about the content of the next cd. I seriously don't know if he can pull it off without it being an ultra cheesfest, and I think it will alienate some of his European audience who could really care less about US history. Nothing to do but wait and see.

I thought that The Glorious Burden was just about war and history in general. I know most of it will be about American history, but I am pretty sure that there will be some songs dealing with World history.

Silver Sable said:
I'm not worried about Jon's ego. We all know he has it, and so far it has kept him genuine, and in control of his band.

i couldn't agree more with this statement.

Silve Sable said:
I am worried about the content of the next cd. I seriously don't know if he can pull it off without it being an ultra cheesfest, and I think it will alienate some of his European audience who could really care less about US history. Nothing to do but wait and see.

interesting and a very valid point about the euro audience, cuz i just love their dedication to metal and everything, but man i know they aren't the biggest fans of the US, and although i am looking forward to this release, i say let jon what he feels to do with his guitar, he's the one who dictates what happens with iced earth, and as long as we don't get a "load", reload", or "risk", everything should be just fine.

1 - How about we hear the album before we trash it
2 - Whats wrong with epic?
3 - I couldn't care less about his ego, just keep making music!

@ Lawman, if we didn't sit here and actually use our brains to discuss the prospects of the new cd, or other topics relating to music then this would just be another spam board. Not to mention, this might help people think of the album more in depth when they finally do hear it so as to insite more decent conversation when it comes out.

Nothing is wrong with Epic. Epic is wonderful sometimes. I personally don't know that Jon has enough experience with long tracks as to make one that is 30 minutes long that won't drag like hell at some point. I mean it isn't like he is with Spock's Beard, or Opeth or something. These people do 20 minute tracks pretty often, and have mastered how to keep them interesting. Dante's Inferno was only like 9 minutes, and it draged in a few places. Not to mention the fact that they don't play it live without damn good reason. Sooooo how are they going to promote a new album without playing the epic? I dunno.

And I agree. The ego is fine as long as he can back it up, which up until this point I believe he has done a great job of. I'm not going to judge the new one yet cause I haven't heard it. I'm just going to say I'm skeptical.

actually, i feel sad about matt leaving iced earth. iced earth brought me to metal but they did not have an amazing record since BO. matt was among the greatest vocalists but i always thought that he wasted his talent in iced earth. i dont need another dark saga, SWTWC, HS sounding cd.

if TGB will be something fresh and new, with the pre-dark saga passion it will rule...else it will be the end of iced earth for me...