if they had chosen (insert keyboardist instead of Per)

rammpeth

Dec 12, 2005
hey there,,how do you guys like Per's style compared to other keyboard players?
sverd,lazare,andy winter, the dude from sigh,,i mean,,do you think per fits in better than all the others?

I love Per's style, and he sounds way better live than he does on the album. I hope on the next album ,theres more keyboard parts and they turn em up a lil more..

Per was the best choice..

steel102 said:
probably the guy from children of bodom would have been a better bet.

Even though the keyboards would sound great, It would screw up Opeth's style. The guy is used to playing fast keyboard solos, which I just can't seem to fit in with Opeth. That's just my opinion.

I think Per fits right in with his style. It suites the music quite well.

I'd be interested in seeing how Kimberly Goss(Sinergy) would have fit in. To be honest, I haven't actually heard any of her playing, but I know she play(ed)s

LadyValerie said:
I'd be interested in seeing how Kimberly Goss(Sinergy) would have fit in. To be honest, I haven't actually heard any of her playing, but I know she play(ed)s
Girls and death metal don't go together no offense please.

lazare being a "hammond-wrecker" wouldve been a good choice i think. Andys a bit too classical for opeth. Sverd would be too out there for its sound. to me its lazare vs per

lol, i remember going to a sinergy concert, haha, in a small club here in guadalajara, mexico, it sucked soooooo bad, hehehehe, kimberly goss is fat.

Sverd would be too over-the-top. I couldn't see him toning it down for the mellow grooves of Opeth. Andy Winter would be good. But per just gets those sounds that fit Opeth. Mr. Winter should do a track with Opeth. I'd like to hear that - Opeth with a classical influence.

Sverd - The best of the bunch when loked at individually, but his playing probably wouldn't work for Opeth. It's too...fiddly.

CoB guy - Awesome technically, think he's very talented, TOTALLY wrong for Opeth.

Andy Winter - Too pianistic. Very emotive pianist and creative songwriter, but Opeth requires someone who can blend in with a variety of sounds, rather than someone like Winter who demands to be centre of attention.

Steven Wilson - Too busy to commit.

Lazarre - Would have been perfect. Master of organs, great with a variety of sounds. Creative, but not overbearing (he knows how to be part of a band). Would have been my choice, so long as he didn't start singing :)

All of those listed are better keyboard players than Per, perhaps with the exception of Steven Wilson (and totally non-metal keyboardists like Tori Amos and Matt Bellamy are even better). But Larzarre aside, I think Per fits the best with Opeth. And he nails organ sounds. I love it when he plays organs :)

Btw, Jordan Rudess is vastly overrated. He's waaaaaay too self-indulgent. Just listen to 'Endless Sacrifice' and you'll hear why in a short passage that damn-near ruins the whole song.