If you could build a custom bass (need help with design)

GabeFry

Apr 18, 2008
Hey guys, I had a local luthier offer a custom bass for my Roland TD-12. I was curious, as I am not a bass player, would would be your suggestions for a fast bass catered towards metal, and downtuning. I don't personally tune to anything below C# but I have some bands come in that tune to A, B, sometimes G. I'd like a bass that could handle these applications well, with a fast neck, and that could sit well in a mix. Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Gabe

-somewhat jazz bass like
-swamp ash body
-maple neck
-maple fretboard
-active electronics/pickups
-single monorail bridge
-hipshot tuners with d-tuner
-5-string+multiscale (if possible)
-natural satin oil finish

that's what i'd go for...

-somewhat jazz bass like
-swamp ash body
-maple neck
-maple fretboard
-active electronics/pickups
-single monorail bridge
-hipshot tuners with d-tuner
-5-string+multiscale (if possible)
-natural satin oil finish

that's what i'd go for...

Awesome! I really appreciate your reply. Would you go with EMG pickups? Or is there a better alternative these days? I guess I will say that I do do some songwriting for hire, which isn't always metal, and so I don't know if some alternative pickups would give the bass a bit more tonal variety. I guess I'm curious how the EMG's would do with some lighter music.

Thanks!

-Gabe

EMG's are just fine, i guess. i had the passive ones (with active tonme control) in my scecter bass installed
and they were OK, i didn't like the sound in general though.

i recently ordered a custom bass with some "house own" passive pickups.
i like it simple, so it's a typical jazz bass, zwo single coils with vol, vol, tone electronics setup.
i also often record different types of music that's why i picked the passive pickups.

EDIT:
just a note, i am absolutely going for optics when it comes to wood on electric instruments.
i''d never try to shape the sound of the instrument by wood choice, i think that 95%
of the sound is in the electronic parts of the instrument.
construction, pickup placement and setup is important too but lies more in the "playability" and "comfort" area.

That is a tough call because I've played some great basses of all kinds but really, a Precision Bass, Fender with passives (Bartolini, maybe) or if you want to get extravagant go with a 5 string Alembic custom. I knew a guy with a fretless 5 string Alembic and it was so well made, just awesome. This was 20 years ago though.

All of my basses have barts or nordstrands but if you like the EMG sound there is no competition. If it were me and I was doing a 4 banger, I'd go EMG PJ, 35" maple neck with Ebony board, Alder or maple body.

Actually I've been digging active humbuckers a lot lately. Not too keen on ash personally. So... Alder for me, a pair of splittable Musicman style Delano pickups and the 35" maple neck with ebony board I'd steal from egan.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I don't know much about bass pickups, and am surprised at how many models there are per brand. I am looking for a really smooth low end a nice growl. It gets a bit tough as I have found a low end that sits really well with most of my mixes through Trillian. The Patitucci Rocker patch seems to be a great compliment with anything I use rock wise. I'm not sure if anyone knows any details of that patch as there aren't any on Trillian it's self. If I could get the low end from that, and the growl from the P-bass patch I would be pretty stoked.