If you guys could help me, I'd love you for all time.

TreKita

Jan 19, 2010
e-kit is in parenthesis because it was a portable rock band set that i split up a little further just so my drummer could literally prop it up on his kit and play it like they were real. i have Drum mics too, but no boom stands. if anyone wants to donate so i can get them, you guys would be my best friends, lol.

NOW ENOUGH FOOLING AROUND!

this here is the track from our demo/E.P/I haven't decided what yet, "Death In the night sky" it would have had vocals too, but Chris couldn't afford gas to hack it to my place and lay them down, so they'll probably be there saturday. :)

if anyone remembers this track from around october, they'll notice it's no longer in Drop C, and nowhere near as sharp on the ears (I hope).

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8664309

things to note and/or help me with on this mix if you'd be so kind

*I replaced a lot of parts of the kit to make them fit my drummer's kit more accurately. if anything sticks out badly, lemme know. it's pretty much a new Drum kit setup entirely, so i can scrap and fix whatever also, just lemme know how it sounds..

*I feel like the Kick drum has too much bass on it, is there anything i should do, or does it sound fine?

*I'm guessing at low Ab, the bass is just too low to be heard well? or maybe i just have a shitty bass. I'm not really sure.

*Guitars are in Ab. good? bad? lemme know.

also, this is mixed, but i've done nothing to the master channel. anyone wanna take a crack at it for practice mastering? have at it. :)

now that I've talked your ear off, let the ignoring of the thread commence. ;)

I think your post is really confusing but i'll give it a shot.

Things i noticed is that the ride cymbal sounds really centered, and the splash is a little loud. Furthermore the drums are sounding good, but i think it could sound even better. Snare and toms could use some (more?) compression, especially the snare could use some crack (my opinion) and i think the kick is a little low in volume in comparison to the rest. The kick could use a hi-pass from 50/60 hz'ish, especially during the faster kick parts there's a lot of rumbling in the lower frequencies.

Guitar tuning is just personal, i don't think there is a wrong or right whether you play in A or E standard, just opinions :) Personally i think the guitar sound could use a little more bite (a little more 1,5-4khz'ish, but don't overdo it) and the volume can be brought up a little. As far as the bass goes i think it's just a shitty bass combined with old strings, a good bassguitar with some fresh strings on it shouldn't be a problem in that kind of tuning.

Hope this helped out a little

that helped out a TON actually, it was EXACTLY what i was looking for. :D

I've made a few tweaks and adjustments and if you'd like to check them further and see what you can and can't say is improved, i'd appreciate it. :)

Here i've done a simple mastering on the original track. The reason i chose the original and not the updated version is because your updated version sounds too loud for a proper mastering and doesnt sound as large and open sounding then the first one. I must admit I had fun fooling around with your track even in mp3 format since it had a really good tonal balance. There is alot of space in the mid area for the vocals to fit and the snare as alot of room to breathe. With vocals, this song is going to kick ass! I love how you gave alot of space for the kick to blow our chest off!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2769770/Death In The Night Sky (Master Try 1).m4a

In the mastering i actually brought down the 1.5 - 2 khz region especially because i tought the guitars were too agrresive as the whole mix itself... The snare as alot of punch and is really piercing on every hit. The only thing on wich i'm aggreeing with is that the kick should be high passed only on the big runs. Am I deaf? I mean my opinion is always different..

thank you so much!

it sounds REALLY good!

i agree that the snare has a bit too much on it that it cuts through, but i'm working on fixing that.

Actually my comment about the snare piercing trought is a good thing! I rarely here punchy snare like this one that cuts trought insted of being burrowed. It seems poeple are scared to make punchy drums with lots of dynamics when this is actually the way metal should sound, punchy and not wimpy loud. On the clip i posted there is at least 4 db of room for the drum to punch before it gets squashed by the limiter. Damn i'd adore working on other mixes you've done, your mixes are truely my type.