If you knew how to create Artificial Intelligence, would you do it?

Thanks for that long explanation nimvi, it's stopped me from being so pissed at my old drummer :p

he had (or rather has) aspergers, and although our band was making a pretty decent impact in the local scene, he jsut became disinterested in it, and as a result of his condition, wanted nothing to do with it, but still came and played shows with us and stuff, but practices were very sparse, and eventually he was just dropping out of major shows at a few days notice, which understandably pissed me and the rest of the band off, but now i've actually got a better understanding as to why he acted like he did, rather than the whole "oh he's probably just depressed and can't be bothered to put the effort in" (he also had a form of depression), whereas now I know it's because he just genuinely didn't want to, but still stuck it out quite a bit for us guys.

This is what I do my research on currently, although I focus mainly on the evolution/optimisation/learning part rather than the AI as such.

I'm not particularly worried about creating true artificial intelligence. We don't have the computing power. But maybe one day, which will create an interesting moral dilema. It will effectively rip apart our current perceptions of right and wrong, preservation, emotion, compassion etc.

I mentioned this already earlier in the thread (the computing power that is) in the link to the Wikipedia entry for Technological Singularity. Futurist Ray Kurzweil (also happens to be the guy behind the musical instrument manufacturer Kurzweil) believes that it will be around 2045 that this predicted singularity occurs:

"The Singularity will allow us to transcend these limitations of our biological bodies and brains ... There will be no distinction, post-Singularity, between human and machine".[19] He also defines his predicted date of the singularity (2045) in terms of when he expects computer-based intelligences to significantly exceed the sum total of human brainpower, writing that advances in computing before that date "will not represent the Singularity" because they do "not yet correspond to a profound expansion of our intelligence."

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Not saying I buy into the premises put forth, but interesting to think about none the less.

to Lanky^ Very welcome! I didn't expect there to be interest for that kind of thing, but when someone asks, I gladly tell :)

That does sound like a very typical "aspie-thing" to do indeed. I have often had to cancel stuff last minute, because somehow my mind just wouldn't give me space for it. It's very annoying and a major cause of guilt. I always try to explain myself clearly though, to at least prevent the social damage. But like said, I've heard that my social skills are high for an aspie, so maybe he had more trouble expressing those feelings than I do.

I should add though that I think some people use their diagnosis as a scot-free card to be a selfish dick. That sucks. There's people out there with considerable afflictions that still manage to push their limits to admirable levels. I think that is a healthy goal for anyone. If you have some kind of disability, you can try to plan around it to see how far you can get.
To use the example above: I know that despite my best efforts, I sometimes HAVE to cancel my plans for the day. But I always try to at least reschedule those plans for a different day. It's not always convenient, but life just isn't paved out for anyone. I'd rather be a bit late than never arrive at my goal at all.

I know exactly what you mean by using a diagnosis as a "get out of jail free card", there were quite a few, for lack of better phrase, mentally afflicted people on our course, and another aspie (not our drummer) uses his diagnosis to get away with everything he possibly can...

Same with another guy who's got bipolar disorder, which REALLY annoys me, seeing as how my long term girlfriend is suspected of it, yet she does nothing like that :L