IGN: 10 Best Death Metal Singers

Nnamster

New Metal Member
Jul 20, 2006
http://music.ign.com/articles/922/922762p3.html

So I was checking out some game news and saw this list on the front page.

Mike made it on there:

"Åkerfeldt's inspired work with Opeth has already been celebrated on this site. The Swedish musician's genre-resistant songwriting has deserved all of the critical and more importantly, fan praise it's been showered with throughout the last decade. Like his wide-spanning musical arrangements, his vocals can go from classic death-metal grunting to the kind of powerhouse singing usually reserved for melodic-rock bands. But it's Åkerfeldt's harsher vocals that earned his place on this list. In his on and off role as vocalist for Swedish supergroup Bloodbath, he's been able to tap into the heavier side of his strengths. In the space of two studio albums EP's, Åkerfeldt's monolithic growls act as huge middle finger to the naysayers who have accused him of forgetting his extreme metal roots. "

http://music.ign.com/articles/922/922762p3.html

It's cool that Mike's on there, but for the rest of the list, there's too many of those tough guy bark vocalists on there and not enough demonic sounding vocalists. Like (apart from Mike), Dallas Toler-Wade or Greg Chandler (though Greg does use quite a bit of reverb on his to achieve that all-important Esoteric dissonance).

It's cool that Mike's on there, but for the rest of the list, there's too many of those tough guy bark vocalists on there and not enough demonic sounding vocalists.

I don't share your opinion here, actually I think there are a lot of pretty awesome vocalists there, for example David Vincent is really great and I love listening to Morbid Angel, Chuck Schuldiner from Death is actually pretty much the founder of the entire Death Metal genre.
...And as far as I'm concerned, Entombed is also a very cool old-school band and even quite similar to Bloodbath, Mike's Death-Metal-vocals-only band.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: