Blabbermouth reviews GR, 10/10

Austin

Sep 8, 2005
Blabbermouth is hosted by Roadrunner so this shouldn't come as too big a surprise....

"There's a danger in taking OPETH for granted, now that we've been graced with a staggering seven albums' worth of progressive metal brilliance from them. They have their own sound, with instantly-identifiable elements, and you can only hear them "for the first time" once. That makes it easy to say they peaked when you were first exposed to them, and aren't as brilliant any more, or that they're coasting on those past glories. A lot of that is just personal perspective clouding people's judgment, and has little or nothing to do with OPETH's musical journey.

The trademarks are still here — Mikael Åkerfeldt's distinctive white-noise roar, serpentine guitar riffs and progressive arrangements. There are the extended acoustic breaks and Åkerfeldt's ever-more-confident clean vocals, still retaining a heavy influence from mentor and former producer Steven Wilson of PORCUPINE TREE. One of the biggest and most bandied-about fan concerns — would signing to Roadrunner ruin OPETH? — was clearly unfounded. The "lead single," "The Grand Conjuration", is over ten minutes long, fer Chrissakes! OPETH exist in their own rarefied realm, regardless of who's counting up the increasing record sales or putting the CD into chain stores. Their success is organic, and anyone who begrudges them that success is just a dick.

New full-time keyboardist Per Wiberg makes his presence felt in a positive way, adding Jon Lord-ian Hammond accents to "The Baying of the Hounds" and a slinky Arabian vibe to "Beneath the Mire". The acoustic interludes continue to drip with PINK FLOYD-ian atmosphere, with nods to Italian film scores and '70s prog. And there's more subtlety in the changes this time out — heavy riffs don't automatically cue the death metal vocals, and the songs return to past movements, or reference previous lyrics and titles, with a cohesion that holds Ghost Reveries together as a continuous, dynamic piece best absorbed in one sitting, at full attention. From the icy, aloof verses of "The Grand Conjuration" to the airy, inviting prog of "Atonement" (anyone else hear AMORPHIS here?), "Ghost Reveries" is an encompassing aural journey, the kind of record that should come with a Tolkien-ian treasure map and a stock of supplies for the trip.

It would still be possible, I suppose, to call this "just another OPETH record," given the familiarity so many have with their sound now. Call them formulaic if you must, as long as you also acknowledge that their formula is one of the best things going in metal right now, a style that is hard-won, fiercely independent, and musically transcendental. It's still a baffling mystery how so many people have joined what should, by all rights, be a tiny worldwide cult of OPETH fans — maybe the metal masses have better taste than everyone's given them credit for? Whatever the reason, it's heartening to see a band this skillful, creative and unique making inroads. OPETH bear the standard for real, unadulterated metal as art, and it's hard to think of a more important band in the genre this decade. "Ghost Reveries" is a masterpiece from a band that seems unable to create anything else."

- - Keith Bergman

10 - Blabbermouth
9.5/10 - Terrorizer

Clearly the best reviewed album of the year so far.

I finally got the album yesterday. It really is good and a great comeback from D1/D2, but a perfect 10 is a bit of an exageration. By that scale MAYH would be a 12 or something. The inclusion of The Grand Conjuration is enough to not consider it perfect for me, because it's kind of a weak track compared to the rest. Plus I think giving any album a perfect 10 is kind of dumb to begin with. No album is 100% perfect. Or atleast I've never found one that is.

I give it an 8.7. Or a 9.3 or something if they left off TGC.

Certainly not 10 out of 10, maybe an 8 or 9. Of course blabbermouth would give it 10 out of 10. haha

Ikil

Certainly not a ten, but I think Terrorizer are onto something with the 9.5... personally it'd be a toss-up between 8.5 and 9. Quite probably 9 because it blows everything else released this year so far outta the water that it ain't funny.

Yeah, true that, I mean, I am still waiting to see how Between the Buried and Me and Arcturus come out, but I don't think it will beat this. Might come very close though.

So far GR is beating all the other cds I have that have been released this year.

Ikil

Kerrang is the most useless magazine.. They're into My Chemical Romance and that shite .. Kerrang TV really is just a fucking joke.. it's either playing Green Day or Eminem.. live life loud my arse!

CAIRATH said:
I finally got the album yesterday. It really is good and a great comeback from D1/D2, but a perfect 10 is a bit of an exageration. By that scale MAYH would be a 12 or something. The inclusion of The Grand Conjuration is enough to not consider it perfect for me, because it's kind of a weak track compared to the rest. Plus I think giving any album a perfect 10 is kind of dumb to begin with. No album is 100% perfect. Or atleast I've never found one that is.

I give it an 8.7. Or a 9.3 or something if they left off TGC.

Well if you beleive no album could possibly be a"10", then how could MAYH(as you said) be a "12 or something".:Smug:

I'd easily give it a 9, just for the fact that every time I'm not listening to it, I wish I was. That, to me, speaks volumes.
Wasn't sure what to think the first time I heard it. My fiancee asked me how it was, and I honestly didn't know how to answer. Ever since that second listen, I've been obsessed with it, to the point where we just moved into a house last week and I freaked out because I didn't know where I packed it and couldn't relax that first night until I found it. Bring on the Worcester show!!

Bungle said:
I'd easily give it a 9, just for the fact that every time I'm not listening to it, I wish I was. That, to me, speaks volumes.
Wasn't sure what to think the first time I heard it. My fiancee asked me how it was, and I honestly didn't know how to answer. Ever since that second listen, I've been obsessed with it, to the point where we just moved into a house last week and I freaked out because I didn't know where I packed it and couldn't relax that first night until I found it. Bring on the Worcester show!!
I keep having bits and pieces of GOP and TBOTH and other songs going through my head when I'm not listening to it. There are so many amazing moments on this album it's sick.

zortz said:
I keep having bits and pieces of GOP and TBOTH and other songs going through my head when I'm not listening to it. There are so many amazing moments on this album it's sick.

"Ghost of Perdition" is, IMO, one of the best Opeth songs, ever. Love it. I get goosebumps on my knees for chrissakes. It will most certainly be played at my bachelor party on Saturday. :kickass:

Bungle said:
"Ghost of Perdition" is, IMO, one of the best Opeth songs, ever. Love it. I get goosebumps on my knees for chrissakes. It will most certainly be played at my bachelor party on Saturday. :kickass:

Sweet, let the strippers think they are dancing to a nice song for a second and then...GHOST OF MOTHER...

Risquit said:
Sweet, let the strippers think they are dancing to a nice song for a second and then...GHOST OF MOTHER...

haha
I'm sure the strip club will be all about AC/DC and Metallica. All Opeth, Bloodbath, and Slayer in the limo with a little Ween for good measure.