IK ARC 2 Question

M

metalhead3ecr

I engage the plugin (correcting my speakers to have a flat response)...the mix sounds perfect.
I export the song with the plugin turned off.
I listen to the song on iTunes or in the car (systems that are far from flat) and it still isn't translating or sounding nearly as good as when the correction was enabled.

This is messing with my head...I guess my question is how should a mix sound on a totally flat response?:err:

I have the ARC2. It's effectiveness is based hugely around the quality of the initial calibration file created by taking measurements within your mixing environment. It's very important that this part is done accurately (search around on Google about how to do that). Also check your ARC2 settings are correct - I always have 'Full bass response' ticked because it makes a huge difference to hearing what's actually happening in the bass.

ARC is not a one-stop solution that gives you a perfect mix. It's much, much better when used within an already treated environment. I built a number of bass traps and other treatment first and then I used ARC2 on top of that.

My mixes don't translate perfectly to the car simply because my listening environment still isn't perfectly flat, and neither is the listening environment in car etc. But vitally you get much, much closer, which is why for the bedroom hobbyist, it's invaluable IMHO and I would never mix without it.

Remember that your mixes are meant to be heard under 'normal' conditions - headphones, car stereos etc. I suggest referring to those and making adjustments accordingly in the mix. Use it as a tool to help you get there quicker, not as the answer.

I agree with you. But my room is treated and my problem is that as soon as I engage the plugin it sounds fantastic. It's a tease really...because I can't get it to sound like that anywhere else after the export.

I think I am not using the plugin correctly or something...My main concern is that assuming you have a perfect flat frequency response in the monitoring room, how should the mix sound? Should I get the mix to sound flat on this flat response? Or should it sound all huge and hyped?

Been a while since I used it but I mainly used it as an analysis tool. I'd profile the room and do a bunch of A/B tests with music I know well and then tweaked the room and monitor placement until there was much less of a difference in the A/B tests. A bit time consuming to keep doing the profiles but in the end I didn't need ARC2 anymore.

In other words, with ARC2 on the mix there was little difference on or off and translation has been pretty good. The main thing it helped with was show me my monitors and treatment were killing the highs (profile had huge high boost). +2 high boost on monitors and changing broadband absorbers for diffusers made it even out.

Thanks for the insight!

I think I'll end up using it as my monitors are far from ideal and the corrected response is a godsend. It is almost flat and anything through it sounds perfect...but no one has answered my question of whether or not a mix should sound flat on a flat response? Or do I just use reference mixes to find how things should be mixed?

Reference mixes through ARC on your system will help you perhaps understand the nuances of your setup (peaks and troughs etc). It will give you some insight anyway.

Presumably if your response is flat, then the mix is how it should be heard, or was intended? I'm not sure how the mix itself can be 'flat' - isn't mixing by it's very nature going to vary across the frequency spectrum?

Guys, my measure mic was stolen. Until I get another one, which of these doy you think will work better for measurement:
SM57, AKG Perception 420 or t.bone rb500 ?

Thank you.

You are better off waiting until you get another one. ARC is built around their two different microphones and those two only.

Back on the topic of translation (making mixes translate). Does anyone have tips for making sure your mix sounds good on any system?

Mastering perhaps?

Right. But with respect to EQ.

Knowing when to high pass bass frequencies so your mixes don't sound flubby on smaller playback systems.

Knowing how much high end is the right amount so tweeters don't make all of your mixes harsh sounding.

Or even compensating for the midrange frequencies because some systems already scoop this area (most car speaker systems)

I feel like I am thinking to hard about this one...oh well :loco: