Studio monitors question

keitake

New Metal Member
Sep 19, 2012
I'm rather confused.

What exactly does studio monitors have to sound like?

I just went to a shop which sells several monitors. I went into a room with all those monitors and the guy played a Dream Theater song; asked me to switch to different monitors by myself and hear the difference.

The first is what I was actually looking for, the RP5. Sounds cool! Next, I tried the HS50. Sounds better to me! Then I switched to the Prodipe TDC 5, which I've never heard of. Excellent clarity! I switched back to the RP5 and realised that it lacks a loud bass, sounds a bit trebly middy and then the HS50, it's the same. Or is it "flat sounding"?

My question is, since the RP5 and the HS50 receives very good feedbacks and I couldn't find any for the TDC 5, what exactly is a good studio monitor? I guess the TDC 5 is what people would call a "colored" monitor. Hmm

The best monitors for you are the ones that let you make the right decisions in the least amount of time. How to get there is subjective.
Of course, ideally the monitor should be as flat as possible* with the least distortion etc etc .. so that it represents what's truly coming into them from the recording medium. However, there's also this quirky little thing called "acoustics" which has a huge effect on every monitor system (which includes everything from the tracks to your ear and everything in between!).

* There is some debate over this, some argue that the monitor should be slanted in response from bass to treble (+2 -> -2 or whatever..).

You want them to be accurate and ideally have a flat frequency response.

A lot of the time this means they will be unflattering for your mixes which is great - it shows the mix how it really is and doesn't gloss over it like the cheap KRK's etc.

You want them to be accurate and ideally have a flat frequency response.

A lot of the time this means they will be unflattering for your mixes which is great - it shows the mix how it really is and doesn't gloss over it like the cheap KRK's etc.

That's why I love my Opals. Nothing flattering about them.. Just honest and detailed!

Can I say that the "shittier" the sound is to normal people, the better it is to achieve a better mix?

EDIT: So basically the sound I heard on the TDC 5 was something people would use during a party, on clubs etc while the RP5 and HS50 sounds weird. I'm just afraid of going to the TDC 5 way and realising that it is the wrong choice few months later

Studio monitors are not hi fi systems.

I remember some yamaha's charts, they said something like the more accurate the monitors are the more annoying they sound...or something like that.

I would'nt say the "shittier" the sound is the better to achieve a mix...

The more accurate they are, the easier is to perceive unwanted sounds so it kinda makes it "easier to mix" with. But also, studio monitors specially the more profesional wouldn't be my choice for listening while chilling or for a party. On the other hand studio headphones and even shit tier studio monitors can sound good for regular listening though. Basically you want hi fi speakers to listen with a comfy sound. I know some people like to listen music with their fancy monitors too.