axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
Ilid – The Shadow Over Arkham
Ukdivision Records – UKDO11
By Axemaiden

ilid_shad.jpg

Ilid (pronounced ‘eyelid’) are a melodic Italian rock band known throughout the music world for their signature atmospheric harmonies and contemplative lyrics. The Shadow Over Arkham is their latest release and at four songs long, is only a very short taster of what Ilid have to offer; listeners however, should not be fooled by the Lovecraft-related title (as I was!), the music is far more chilled and mellow than horror inspired, and does not fall easily into any one specific category.

This album was very difficult for me to review as I wasn’t sure whether I liked or disliked it. I found the album in many respects to be quite innovative, it crossed over and spanned many different styles of music, and the first song, ‘Envenomation’, had quite an Opeth feel to it, especially with the introspective weaving of bass and guitar, which is always a bonus! I think the main reason Ilid are not going to become one of my favourite bands is because, although Natascia is a talented vocalist, I don’t feel that her voice is right for the music. I found her vocals quite hard, and she sounded at her best during her softer moments which seemed more appropriate with the background of reflective guitar work. Also, the production on the vocals seemed quite weak compared to the other instruments and I think definitely needs some improvement. The album is a good effort, but I don’t think it represents Ilid’s best work.

Official Ilid Website
Official Ukdivision Records Website