Ilium - s/t

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Ilium
Ilium, 2002
By Nathan Pearce

Well, I recently received this apparently self-release CD from Australia’s Ilium. Luckily the CD contains only 4 songs, the longest of which is an abysmal 10 minutes. The other three songs are of a considerably shorter length.

My reaction upon seeing this CD was something like this: boring cover art, stupid picture of the band on the back with all the guys lined up wearing clothes straight out of 1982. Well, I went ahead and popped the CD in . . . OH BOY WAS I WRONG! These guys aren’t boring. They down right SUCK!

Don’t we have enough cheesy power metal bands? Especially with bad singers. The guitar riffs on this thing are cheesy, the drums are average at best, and the vocals . . . oh Lord the vocals. Mark Snedden who attempts to sing on this CD should be put down like the lame duck his vocals mimic.

Unfortunately I listened to this CD several more times to get a better feel for it. Multiple listens were followed by a short stint at the toilet . . . fighting nausea. This CD is as original as Britney Spears. Sorry for the lack of thought that was put into this review, but I thought my review should imitate the CD I reviewed.