Ueickap - Stereotyped

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
Ueickap - Stereotyped
Risingworks records- CD002 2005 – January 11th, 2006
By Zack Attaran

ueikapstereotypedbp2.jpg

Ironic, that stereotyping was the first thing I did for this Italian quintet. Female vocals, rehashed lyrics and less than impressive song titles gave me the impression that the music would fall somewhere in between Lacuna Coil and Evanescence. Unfortunately, the promo picture didn’t do them much justice either, but this CD is about stereotyping, so if I had any sense in me, I’d let the music speak for itself, right? Well, when the music spoke for itself, it sounded like a bell that had been rung one too many times. The difference was, though, this bell had been rung by a 250 pound ripped athlete on methamphetamine.

Talent runs rampant throughout this record, mostly on the bass, but there is no lack in confidence when I say that the vocals and other instruments can give their adversaries a run for their money. Like I mentioned earlier though, the bass makes this CD. It’s a marvel to behold the first time you hear the cracking enthusiasm in the baritone strings when Davide Santo’s fingers race up and down the neck hitting a plethora of notes, all of which are dead on and rock solid. In addition, Santo can change his styles too, and creates a warbling sound throughout the record that adds a new level to the songs. When the acoustic guitars come in to take the stage, it becomes finely balanced, and the reliability on the bass is decreased somewhat, giving the songs a nice replay value.

Unfortunately, talent never keeps me alert and interested for very long, and this CD doesn’t even reach the halfway point before my attention wavers. Once the shock of the impressive playing wears off, it becomes a matter of how much you like the genre. If you like female vocals and simple chord progressions, then Ueickap are a must have for you, because this CD has set the benchmark in this genre. If you aren’t a fan however, like me, then this is probably something you should pass on. The bottom line is, this CD is by no means groundbreaking, nor is there any quality in the songwriting that makes me scream revolutionary, but Uieckap play it about as good as it gets.

6/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Ueickap Website
Official Risingworks records Website