I'm About to Start Recording - Advice Needed

Adari

Praise King Haake!
Sep 24, 2010
London, UK
Hello everyone,

As the title says, I'm a total noob and want to start recording, but I'm faced with a huge choice of options and products. I'm 15 years old, and I've been playing guitar for over 8 years and piano for 6 years. My primary genre is metal, but I also enjoy jazz-fusion and many other types of music.

I plan on recording using the Ola Englund Method (the method shown in his two tutorials on Youtube). Not only is Ola my greatest musical influence, but his recording process seems simple and cost-effective.

What I have:

Guitars
Amp (Blackstar HT-5)
Midi-enabled keyboard
Computer (Windows Vista, 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM)

What I need:

USB/MIDI interface
Microphone (for cabinet - I can't sing)
Monitors (can be headphones)
Other stuff (please tell me what)

I'll probably buy a cheap bass and record by line-in (as on Ola's tutorial), and I think I'll use Reaper and EZDrummer, unless alternate software is bundled with my interface.

My budget is about £350 (flexible). I plan to buy an Audix i5, because it's £25 cheaper than an SM57. I'll also buy a mic-stand, so I can get the mic placement sounding good.

As for interfaces, these are the ones I'm currently considering:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/interfac...-us122-mk2-usb-2-audio-and-midi-interface.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/interfac...-us144-mk2-usb-2-audio-and-midi-interface.asp

http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_audiobox_usb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_fast_track_pro.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_saffire_6_usb.htm

Please tell me if any of these are right for me, or recommend alternatives (preferably cheaper).

I know nothing about monitors, but I want them to be as cheap as possible.

Please help me out.

If you've not got acoustic treatment then you're most likely better off with some decent headphones. Audio Technica ATHM50's are pretty good and about £100.

Audix I5 is fine for mic'ing guitars.

As far as the interfaces go I reckon the Focusrite would be your best bet.

For metal guitar tones you'll need to grab an Ibanez Tube Screamer if you don't already have one. The TS7 will do the job and is about £40.

and get plenty of this...

galpharm_paracetamol_500mg_caplets_16.jpg

where I live, the Audio Technica ATHM50's cost about 200 £. South america ftw!

Back to the topic: In Order to get nice soundin' drums with EZdrummer you MUST replace the snare and the kick with samples. That being said, some kind of Vst triggering device (like drumagog) it's a must.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I noticed that the Focusrite comes with Ableton Live Lite, as well as Bass Station, 1GB of samples and various plugins. How does this compare to Reaper?

If I install the bundled software, can I install it again, if I replace my computer?

Do I definitely need a Tubescreamer? My main guitar has EMGs, so I get quite a tight metal tone already.

The headphones look great, but they're a bit expensive. Can you recommend anything cheaper?

Assuming that I buy an Audix i5 and a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, which cables will I need to buy to connect it all up(I have normal guitar cables)?

Should I consider buying second-hand?

Thanks for your help and patience.

If you're serious about this then I would definitely suggest a larger budget, even for a beginner-studio.

I don't know what your situation is, but a good audio interface (re: preamps) is essential if you want anything worth listening to and worth spending the extra bucks for; however, the Focusrite is definitely alright to start. An SM57 is a great all round mic for both vocals and guitars if you're trying to save money. And yes, a TS or Maxon OD808 (what I use and love) is a world of difference and you will not regret it.

I recommend a larger budget due to the fact that you will enjoy it far more if you get a nice pair of headphones and some good starting gear. It's no fun trying to mix on sub-par headphones when your source isn't even up to par. My 2 cents.

A really great way to warm up a signal early on is to use this little guy: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTTMPSTU
Incredibly cheap and can add a lot of warmth to vocals or really whatever you think needs the extra oomph, a very good investment! I've still got 2 :p

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm not sure what you mean by "serious about recording". It's something I plan to do in my spare time, not professionally. I do understand your point about spending more to get the right tools for the job, but, being 15, I can't get a job, so I don't have a huge budget.

Any more advice is appreciated.

Priority from top to bottom:

- Cables (without cables they are just boxes without a purpose. If you can, _ALWAYS_ choose XLR connector over 1/4" jack or RCA)
- Audio Interface (without one you can't record. If you can use firewire, get M-Audio Profire 610, it's about £250)
- Active studio headphones or Studio monitors (without these, you can't hear anything you record. I suggest minimum of Behringer Truth 2030A, about 200£ a pair)
- Microphone and stand (SM57 + stand is about £100)
- Ibanez TS7 (tubescreamer pedal, £40)
- GOOD Active DI-box (BSS AR133 is good and about £100, but many people here really like the Countryman Type 85 and Radial J48 (I am a radial guy myself), both are about £160)
- Reamp box (not really high priority yet for you)
- Acoustic treatment (it's considerably cheap when doing it DIY)
- "Better" amp (Peavey 6505, Mesa Dual Rectifier and something like that are always safe choices for metal...)
- Bigger cabinet (2x12" or 4x12" with Celestion Vintage 30 elements)

You are still 15, you have plenty of time to get all of this, and you propably will by you're 18-20 if you are determined.

Of course and it's completely up to you what you buy and such.
Being 15 you can still be serious about something you do in your spare time, it's how I got started :p

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I noticed that the Focusrite comes with Ableton Live Lite, as well as Bass Station, 1GB of samples and various plugins. How does this compare to Reaper?

If I install the bundled software, can I install it again, if I replace my computer?

Do I definitely need a Tubescreamer? My main guitar has EMGs, so I get quite a tight metal tone already.

The headphones look great, but they're a bit expensive. Can you recommend anything cheaper?

Assuming that I buy an Audix i5 and a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, which cables will I need to buy to connect it all up(I have normal guitar cables)?

Should I consider buying second-hand?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Abelton live is not really designed for recording. It's more used for samples in live performances. Reaper is infinitely more suited to recording.

Even with EMG's you'll get better results using a tubescreamer in front of the amp. Everyone here uses a tubescreamer when recording guitars (at least when it's for tight metal tones)

I know the M50's seem expensive but as you get cheaper and cheaper you'll find that the earpieces get mismatches (so the sound out of the left ear isn't the same as the sound out of the right) and the frequency response of the headphones wont be as good, so you'll find it difficult to judge what your recording actually sounds like.

For plugging the I5 into your Saffire you'll need a XLR-XLR cable. Don't bother buying the cheapest cable you can find because it will just break and cost you more money in the long run! One of these should last you a long time:
http://www.studiospares.com/leads-xlr/xlrma-xlrfe-2m-purple/invt/593017/

I wholeheartedly recommend buying second hand. The recession has resulted in it becoming a buyers market right now and there are bargains all over ebay. You're money will go significantly further compared to buying new and in a couple of years if you decide to upgrade and sell what you have you shouldn't lose any money. You might even make a profit!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I have a few more questions though:

Why would I need a DI box?(I would only be DI-ing bass and then distorting the fuck out of it).

Why is XLR better than 1/4" jack?

Do I need a firewire interface?

Remember, I'm not expecting to make pro-quality audio. I just want to make music.

I've heard a LOT of positive things about Focusrite products. What is it about them that everyone likes so much?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I have a few more questions though:

Why would I need a DI box?(I would only be DI-ing bass and then distorting the fuck out of it).

Why is XLR better than 1/4" jack?

Do I need a firewire interface?

Remember, I'm not expecting to make pro-quality audio. I just want to make music.

Di Box allows you to have the correct impedance when running line level signals into your interface. Do you NEED one and if you dont have one will it prevent you from recording NO!

Another thing to consider is that if you use a DI Box you can record your dry guitar signal along with your amp at the same time which will allow you to re-amp your performaces later as you update your gear. This is a nice thing to be able to do.

As for Firewire, no. If you are only recording a single mic or line instrument a USB interface will be fine. Usually firewire will only be required when recording multiple instruments at one time. Just for the sake of "speed" and "minimal" latency.

XLR: Offers a Positive, Negative, and, Ground. Each is shielded in its
own casing in addition to a outer rubber case.

1/4 Inch: Offers a Positive, and Negative. Only the Positive is shielded in its own casing, where as the Negative offers no shielding than
the outer rubber casing.

1/4 Inch connects are prone to massive interfearance, and, hum issues.

I've heard a LOT of positive things about Focusrite products. What is it about them that everyone likes so much?

#1 the build quality. The are built like a tank!

#2 Support their support staff is AMAZING when it comes to their knowledge

#3 The Pre's - The pres on the High End Focusrite stuff is 99.9% transparent meaning it doesnt color the tone at all. This is a great thing when it comes to re-amping and recording other types of preamps before the interface. Focusrite also makes / made the pre's in the Control 24 which was the standard interface for Pro Tools users for a very long time. Although those pre's were better then whats in the Saffire series you still get a very low "coloration" with the Focusrite stuff so you are sure what you are hearing out of the monitors is what you are recording (within reason)

All the advice has been excellent, but I need as much as I can get. If you have any more words of wisdom, please let me know.

BE PATIENT!

You are not going to make platinum sounding records over night. READ as much of this forum as you can, then read it again! There is SOOOOO MUCH valuable info hidden in little posts her and there its fucking crazy!

Work on your guitar playing technique. Its the LARGEST part of having a good guitar tone!

GET A GOOD SET OF MONITORS AND ROOM TREATMENT ASAP, It will make your job mixing A LOT easier

...Not only is Ola my greatest musical influence, but his recording process seems simple and cost-effective...

I don't know if I'd call Olas guitars, amps and the roadster 2x12 "cost-effective"

Your budged really seems VERY tight for what you're trying to do imo...depending on how your plans are I'd say:
if you just want take a look at all this kind of stuff you may be able to get some equipment together for that price. it wouldnt be anything near decent quility tho...the bass alone could eat up all the budged^^

if you allready know you want to stick to it then Anssi showed you a possible way

edit: to day at least something helpful:
I love my Focusrite, its good quality

For your budget honestly this is what I would do:

DAW - Reaper $30
Interface - Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - $200
Monitors - Used set of KRK Rockit 5's - $250
Mic - i5 - $100
Stand - $10
Bass - Rondo Music - SX Ursa 2 JR RN 3TS Short Scale - $100

So for about $700 you could get yourself setup with a decent intro studio. If you can expand your budget its definitely the way to go!