Im confused!

Imbow

May 17, 2010
Have lately been reading a lot about the gain staging and Im only getting more confused by reading it. Using Cubase 5 I have recorded the dry signal from my UX2, and it peaked about -18dbf on the dry signal input meter in podfarm. I then ran the dry signal through SPAN, and it says the RMS is -29, which (if I have understand it right) is the average -dbf over time? But by looking at the output meter on SPAN it says my dry signal peaks at about -13dbf.. :err: Should I be concerned? and should I apply the input gain option on the audio channel for either increaseing or lowering the leveling of the track? Basically Im confused about all these meters you apperently can't trust.. I fear I have recorded my tracks too hot or too low if thats possible? And lastly I tried to put some amp sims on the dry signal, and it sounded all good, but now I got confused by the gain nob in kefir when I had to upload the impulse. Should that gain in kefir also be -18dbf? Please help! Im so confused!

The meters in the DAW are peak meters, not RMS meters. RMS is the measurement of effective DC equivalent and in the audio world generally accepted as the perceived volume. If you didn't touch the gain on the input channel or the faders, SPAN will give you the same peak that your DAW channel does. The only meter you have to worry about is the DAW channel meter, you are over thinking it. If it sounds good and is not clipping on the master buss then your all good.

Ye, maybe. Just want to get it correctly the first time so it doesn't turn into a bad habit or something. Thanks for your help! :D