Trouble with impulses and tweaking the amp

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

maybe i'm just a stupid fucktard, but for some reason i only hear the impulsed signal once it's recorded...whenever i'm just playing without actually recording anything all i hear is the fizzy preamp-only signal. this obviously sucks hard as i have to record a take, listen, tweak the amp, re-record, and compare, which makes tweaking the tone quite a bitch.
i tried inserting kefir on the input channel on cubase sx, but that didn't work either.
where am i going wrong?
i'm using KeFir and cubase sx3 btw.

thanks a lot!

Click the little speaker on the track so it will monitor with KeFir running while you play.

~006

on which track do you mean?
i already tried inserting kefir on an audio channel, and clicking the monitor button just as you described...still getting only preamp fizz though?!

Turn the mix to 100% wet, and also, if your interface has a mix knob (MBOX's, Lexicon Lambda/Omega, etc.), turn that to 100% computer (0% monitoring the inputs)

Well you might have to change something in the M-Audio control panel, but I doubt it - so you have the impulse plugin on the track your recording TO (not the input track), the little amber speaker logo is on (for input monitoring), and you still only hear the preamp signal? Shit, I'm out of ideas...

Yeah, I use Cubase, have been for a long time, and that should do the trick. I do it all the time during vocal tracking so the sound in their headphones is gated, compressed, de-essed and slightly EQ'ed. Helps them do good takes. Have done it when I was testing my Rev Jr. into MKIII for impulses. Dunno why it's not working for you.

~006

Well you might have to change something in the M-Audio control panel, but I doubt it - so you have the impulse plugin on the track your recording TO (not the input track), the little amber speaker logo is on (for input monitoring), and you still only hear the preamp signal? Shit, I'm out of ideas...

that's exactly the situation i'm in.
as for the m-audio control panel...i'll have a look this evening.
any other ideas????

is that a laptop?

if so did u disable the built in soundcard?

61RGiLKs1XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

put the inserts in the channel you will record (not input channel) and click on the monitor input button.

edit: I drew you a picture:

inputlisten_cubase.png

Open the mixer with F2 and follow the arrows:

CYAN: do NOT put any inserts to the input channel
YELLOW: route the input channel to the track (BLUE ARROW)
GREEN: open the channel settings with the round "e" button and put the inserts of you choise to the tracks (BLUE ARROW) inserts, I put a preamp and kefir for this example
RED: turn on the input monitoring and start rocking :headbang:

well, i FINALLY was albe to make it work - thank god :D
i had to disable direct monitoring in the vst multitrack page, and switch over to wavout 1/2 rather than monitor mixer on the m audio control panel.
thank you guys for your answers!!