When using impulses, I am clipping very early and it's very boomy

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I am using a guitar port with XT patch and Cubase SX3 as the host. I've tried Boogex and keFIR both with the same results. I am thinking about just pulling the trigger on pristine space but I don't want to end up with the same results.

Any advice?

Voxengo Impulse incurs too much latency to be used for realtime recording with impulses not to mention it's only packaged and sold with the AnalogFlux Suite.

If you are talking about Pristine Space just press that little "?" in the top right corner and then "zero latency" and presto - you have a zero latency IR plugin !!!

Well guys I went ahead and got pristine space to see if that was any different, and whaddaya know, all my problems solved. The SOLO 100 head with some of GuitarHacks impulses fucking slays.

Time to get the metal shop pack.

I also have problem when using impulses using KeFir into cubase sx 3 with tone port.

The problem is some notes have crazy volume in comparison to others.

i.e. i can chug away in open (drop d) tuning) and the meter will be like -6db or watever a decent signal but if i start chugging around the 8th fret in particular it clips badly i thought it might just be latency or some shit when monitoring but when i apply the impulse to the recorded track it comes through.

So what am i doing wrong because i realy want to use these impulses sounds realy sweet as long i stay away from certain frets ha

(Sorry for this extremely basic/obvious advice):

Load the offending impulse in your fav audio editor,
Use a spectrum analyzer to identify the offending freqs,
Use some very high quality EQ to tame 'em without touching anything else.

(Sorry for this extremely basic/obvious advice):

Load the offending impulse in your fav audio editor,
Use a spectrum analyzer to identify the offending freqs,
Use some very high quality EQ to tame 'em without touching anything else.

But shouldent impulses work without me having to do this there is no problem when i just use the cab convulsion in gearworks but that sucks so i want to use impulses (and yes i turned off the cab convulsion in gearworks when i tried to use impuse since im new to using impulses i thought there may be some minor stupid thing im doing wrong would a different plug work better for loading the impulse?

But shouldent impulses work without me having to do this [snip] ?

Depends on the room, mic, cab and skills of the audio engineer who took the impulse.

The impulse may work nicely with one guitar/string/pickup combination (engineers own) and not so nicely with some other equipment (yours).

Can preamps/heads be used as impulses? Id like to try some krank or engl impulse. But i only know how to do the speaker sims?