Im getting my first guitar tomorrow!!

i started playing guitar a few months ago

some advice

get guitar pro and www.mysongbook.com for tabs, if u wanna learn a song, start with deep purple - smoke on the water, i can play bits of bodom but no where near full speed :p

www.cyberfret.com is a good site, especially for learning techniques

get a dunlop tortex 1mm pick (blue), my first pick was a shite one by stagg, got this dunlop tortex and found out its the one metallica and other popular guitar's use, they are really nice, next time i pass a guitar shop i'll be popping to find a dunlop jazz II and III to see what they are like, and also get a dunlop tortex .88 and a 1.1mm, avoid the .50 its way to flexable, i got a .73 used to like it, i think its too flexable now and i mostly use the 1mm

stick with it, starting is the hardest bit is starting guitar, i was on and off the thing every few weeks, but i play it alot more often now

oh ye learn a bit of music theory too, like playing in scales and stuff, else all the riffs u invent will sound like shite :p

oh and teacher wise, i aint never had a teacher but get one that will teach u metal, u dont wanna end up learning jazz or something

KenShiRo said:
i started playing guitar a few months ago

some advice

get guitar pro and www.mysongbook.com for tabs, if u wanna learn a song, start with deep purple - smoke on the water, i can play bits of bodom but no where near full speed :p

www.cyberfret.com is a good site, especially for learning techniques

stick with it, starting is the hardest bit is starting guitar, i was on and off the thing every few weeks, but i play it alot more often now

oh ye learn a bit of music theory too, like playing in scales and stuff, else all the riffs u invent will sound like shite :p

oh and teacher wise, i aint never had a teacher but get one that will teach u metal, u dont wanna end up learning jazz or something

Better advice, figure out songs by ear. If you get stuck ONLY then use Guitar Pro for some help.

KenShiRo said:

dont listen to this guy bro. (no offense kenshiro) but its important to play different styles of guitar and not just metal. i study solo jazz and classical guitar with my guitar teacher and i work on metal by myself. i mean most real metal is either blues or classical based (90% of bodom songs have classical elements in them. there isnt much jazz influence but look at Alex Sholnick (Testament). my point is basically that if you ONLY study metal theres a good chance that youll end up playing like the guitarists from slipknot, korn, and limp bizkit, with one finger across the frets chugging away in drop d for minutes at a time. i mean look at alexi he studied at a conservatory leaning jazz and classical. trust me, you should do all u can to broaden ur musical horizons and you wont regret it.

SILENT(_)SCREAM said:
dont listen to this guy bro. (no offense kenshiro) but its important to play different styles of guitar and not just metal. i study solo jazz and classical guitar with my guitar teacher and i work on metal by myself. i mean most real metal is either blues or classical based (90% of bodom songs have classical elements in them. there isnt much jazz influence but look at Alex Sholnick (Testament). my point is basically that if you ONLY study metal theres a good chance that youll end up playing like the guitarists from slipknot, korn, and limp bizkit, with one finger across the frets chugging away in drop d for minutes at a time. i mean look at alexi he studied at a conservatory leaning jazz and classical. trust me, you should do all u can to broaden ur musical horizons and you wont regret it.

very well said.

learn as many styles as possible. even the ones you don't like, because there is always something from that style that could spice up your playing or get you out of a rut, should you fall into one.

SILENT(_)SCREAM said:

Agreed.

Plus they way I see it if you master Jazz and classical guitar, you can pretty much master anything else.

And that's not just my opinion there.

hey again, i bought the guitar today, an epiphone les paul special II for £79!! what a buy down from £195, however im not alowd it yet until my b-day which isnt far off. I've been playing around on my brothers guitar though for a few months and i already have guitar pro but i only use it for tabs for songs.

congrats man.. I'm getting a new guitar as well.. damn I can't wait.. It's a Jackson RX10-D, should be here any day now :D

My uncle bought a new guitar for me from a pawn shop and the thing is almost brand new! :) It's a Yamaha but it's super sweet! He's taking a look at it right now and fixing it and stuff. If it needs care, mind you . . . . I can't wait! And Bed_Of_Razors666 congrats on your new guitar! Enjoy playing! :) Peace! :headbang:

yay im alowd it before my birthday im playing on it right now:) it rules i just went to buy a strap for it, i like the cherry sunburst colour of it too i didnt think id like anything other than black

Cool, I hope you enjoy your guitar and have some nice moments with it! And remember, whatever you play with it, have fun. Playing is not supposed to be stressing like work or anything. Play whatever you want.