I'm going amp shopping.

Jinn

Saint
May 16, 2004
Orlando, Florida USA
Hey all, I'm going to go shopping for a guitar amp soon, and I'm wondering if I could get suggestions... I'm looking for something with a great clean tone, that can give me a great crunch and lead. I'm looking for a 'Sounds of Decay' lead tone in amps. I play a Schecter 006 deluxe and am planning to make the Schecter Damien [complete with EMG HZs ] my next guitar.

So, any suggestions for a cabinet and a head?

What is your budget?
I could GREATLY recommend the Rocktron Replitone (solidstate 1x12 or 2x12 combo, not sure if they come in heads but can easily be connected to cabs), great value, or maybe the Hughes & Kettner Vortex (solidstate half stack or 2x12 combo).
But if you have the chance to give the Replitone a try, do it.

Yeeeeah, I'm looking for something like that (or close to it, I like the description Jinn made), but in a 30-50 watt combo. So yeah, thanks in advance to anyone who makes suggestions. >_>

Cerulean said:
What is your budget?
I could GREATLY recommend the Rocktron Replitone (solidstate 1x12 or 2x12 combo, not sure if they come in heads but can easily be connected to cabs), great value, or maybe the Hughes & Kettner Vortex (solidstate half stack or 2x12 combo).
But if you have the chance to give the Replitone a try, do it.

well, I'm working up towards buying a cabinet right now, then I'm starting from scratch to buy the head.

So my budget is really anything.

I just can recommend the Engl Sovereign Combo 100W...
You get the warmest clean sounds, bluesy crunch in perfection, slight distorted stuff and heavy distorted stuff (up to Death Metal)...
The combo nearly has a similar sound like the Savage 120 (which Darkane used on their current album)... as far as I am informed, Opeth used Engl amps on both Still life and Blackwater park and Arch Enemy ones used them, too!

i have a cheap (i payed about 400€ for it) top that is awesome.
it is a laney, semi-tube (dont know how you say in english)
that is, the pre-amp is a tube, the amp is not.
it can make my epiphone sound like everything from zz-top blues to immortal black.
i love the sound of it.. and the price.
the entire stack (with a 4x12 laney speaker) costs about 8-900 € new in sweden.
I play it with a marshal 4x12 though, that is broken.. cant afford a new one just yet.

i can definetly recomend trying it. i have never considered using a distpedal since i bought it.

Hmm, I don't know of anyone here that sells Engl amps, but there's one place that sells Laney shit...

400 Euros huh? that'd be about 700 USD or somewhat... :X

well, considering my cash is now down to about 30 bucks [just bought a Fender Bassman 60 bass amp], I'm all for saving and increasing my budget.

i second the 5150... other guitarist from my old band had one before.. sounded awesome.

nothing slays a good ole marshall though... but they cost a bloody fortune.

Can't agree. With Marshalls you pay for the name, not for the quality, same goes for Gibson in fact (with prices drastically increasing over the last 10 years)
Engl amps and the expensive Hughes & Kettner duotones and triamps are so much better than Marshalls.

I have to come back to my bargain Les Paul.
I didn't find a Les Paul forum on the net... maybe someone of you knows from which manufacturer my Les Paul can be. Since the former owner has removed all the trademarks it's hard to find, but maybe we can come closer.

- "Made in Japan" metal plate on the back
- bolted neck (that shows it must have been a cheap one, right?)
- two humbuckers
- 22 frets
- colour = sunburst (?)

I'll post a pic the next days.
Thanks for any tips

@topic
I think the Marshall JCM800 is a solid amp, but I agree with Cerulean that most Marshall stuff isn't as good as ENGL or Mesa Boogie.
I own an old Crate Blue Voodoo amp. Don't know the exact model at the moment.

Unicorn said:
- "Made in Japan" metal plate on the back
- bolted neck (that shows it must have been a cheap one, right?)
- two humbuckers
- 22 frets
- colour = sunburst (?)

Bolt on neck doesn't mean anything, and certainly does not make a guitar cheaper. The difference between bolt on and through body is that bolt on has less sustain. But there are expensive guitars as well with this kinda neck...

But I'm afraid you'll never find out which kind of guitar you've bought. There are countless small guitar manufacturers who make Les Paul copies, so chances are even quite small that it is an Epiphone. Anyway, for this price, you can't complain of course.
Btw check out if you can find any clues inside the body. Remove the plates on the back and see if there's any text there.