I'm going amp shopping.

I'll do that!
But since the guitar is pretty old, don't you think there are less manufaturers that come into question?
The metal plate looks like the ones from Ibanez. ;)

hm.. no clues in the body. nothing
I didn't want to say that "bold on neck" guitars are cheaper in general, but within the Les Paul series the "Studio" has a "bolt on neck" and the "through bodies" are more expensive.

I had a JCM800 and never cared much for it. It was loud as hell, but I couldn't get a decent sound out of it. Used the "crunch," an assortment of pedals, several different guitars, and tweaked the shit out of it, but was never happy. Always sounded either too warm or too nasal.

Tried a 5150 and loved it though.

Unicorn said:
hm.. no clues in the body. nothing
I didn't want to say that "bold on neck" guitars are cheaper in general, but within the Les Paul series the "Studio" has a "bolt on neck" and the "through bodies" are more expensive.

Hmm my Studio has a through body neck...
And if you say the metal plate looks like Ibanez, that's perfectly possible cos Ibanez used to make a LP copies a while ago.

Cerulean said:
Hmm my Studio has a through body neck...
And if you say the metal plate looks like Ibanez, that's perfectly possible cos Ibanez used to make a LP copies a while ago.

I must be wrong with this "through body neck" thingie...
Here are some pics.
http://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2W26PDOEN08AX1E1316PB13FRO

My girlfriend works at a paintshop and promised to revarnish it for me. :)
I choose black paint.
That Ibanez plate look was maybe mostly wishful thinking. ;)

the head looks like a epiphone.. and also epiphone has that metalplate on some models (i think i have seen them atleast..)
also, the little black plastic on the head.. there are epiphones with those too
however, it doesnt look like epi tuning-screws (dunno the english word..)

Thanks Hobo.
Every hint can be useful. I played it now through my crate amp and it sounds very different from other guitars. Not much output from the pickup and not so harsh. Pretty nice rock sound. Not so much metal.

Cerulean said:
Can't agree. With Marshalls you pay for the name, not for the quality, same goes for Gibson in fact (with prices drastically increasing over the last 10 years)
Engl amps and the expensive Hughes & Kettner duotones and triamps are so much better than Marshalls.

Have to second you on that. I wouldn't buy a Gibson or a Fender nowadays, definitely. There are far better guitars around nowadays, for a smaller price.

I directly compared a Gibson Flying V Historic with a Duesenberg Rocket and the Duesenberg won all the way - and with a price tag of 1090 euros, it was also 700 euros cheaper. I need a guitar which rocks, not a headplate which says "Gibson".

As for amps, I'd definitely go for Engl, H&K or Laney. If you have a bit more to spend, try Matamp.