I'm in need of some help.

XxSNAPxX

[HYDRAKUS]
Jan 29, 2008
I'm doing a project for my music class in school, we need to bring in a mix cd with the best songs of the best bands (all opinionated) of five genres of music. we get to choose the genres. So i need help in this way....help me decide. :kickass:

My genres are

Melodic Death Metal
Technical Death Metal
Power Metal
Thrash
Prog. Metal

i understand if you find my asking douchebaggy and will gladly accept flaming for thinking this is a good idea, but yeah. please help.

*facepalm* did he say 5 genres or 5 subgenres of metal

throw in some real variety you tool

What everyone said - bring 5 metal songs - you lose.

Those are 5 sub genres of a single music style (genre).

I too think you may be getting a "that's the same genre, metal" kind of reply, and I also think it should be your favourites, but since you ask...

Melodic Death Metal: Children Of Bodom - Children Of Bodom
Technical Death Metal: Arsis - Servants Of The Night
Power Metal: Sonata Arctica - My Land
Thrash: Kreator - Betrayer
Prog. Metal: Dream Theater - The Glass Prision

Kind of fucked up because it's pretty much impossible to list the best as there's not really such thing.

But if I were the one to make the CD I'd go for something in the lines of:

Dire Straits - Sultains Of Swing
Dream Theater - A Nightmare To Remember
The Offspring - The Meaning Of Life
Dido - White Flag
Whatever you want to pick from Paco de Lucía for some wild spanish guitar action

If you're just gonna go with the one genre, then whatevs I'll give my list. Should throw some dark ambient in there though :V

Melodic Death Metal: Children Of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Technical Death Metal: Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Power Metal: Wintersun - Starchild
Thrash: Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Prog. Metal: Between the Buried and Me - Selkies: The Endless Obsession

well the thing is, the metal liking population at my school is DEATHcore dominated. There's a friend in my calls named josh whos into metal and has wanted me to make him a cd like this for a long ass time, but now that it's a GRADE i'm compelled to do it, so im killing two birds with one stone here. and in the range of thought that they're all sub genres of one genre, i know. but i'm making it my mission to have the most stuff no ones heard, and since the majority of my music class is either rap or country lovers and they have a very stereotypic view of metal, i wanna shove the musical awesomeness of it down there little snobby wannabe throats.

all the more reason be an ass to do it

being an ass is manly

Being an ass and being musically retarded are two entirely different things. people won't be offended, they'll just hear music that to them sounds all the same, yet this bloke claims its 5 different genres. they won't think he's an ass, as much as they'll find him to be one sided and delusional.

All the same for me though, i was just saying it wouldnt hurt with some variety.

well the thing is, the metal liking population at my school is DEATHcore dominated. There's a friend in my calls named josh whos into metal and has wanted me to make him a cd like this for a long ass time, but now that it's a GRADE i'm compelled to do it, so im killing two birds with one stone here. and in the range of thought that they're all sub genres of one genre, i know. but i'm making it my mission to have the most stuff no ones heard, and since the majority of my music class is either rap or country lovers and they have a very stereotypic view of metal, i wanna shove the musical awesomeness of it down there little snobby wannabe throats.

By showing off your music being better than theirs, you are being a snobby little wannabe.

The point of this project is to obviously broaden your horizons and listen to new music, and you are going to fucking fail it hard. Seriously, bring 5 different metal songs, and at the end of the presentation you will get "I asked for 5 different songs, these are all metal, you failed", while standing in front of the entire class.

Also, not everyone is into metal. Its not becuase they don't get it, its because not every is fucking into metal. Just like you don't like their snobby msuic (apparently anything without an electric guitar, faggot). No one in your class is going to get impressed by your metal knowledge, they will literally just see you as a typical, close minded, metalhead who listens to no other kind of music.

How many people in your class are of these "Deathcore" kids? I'm going to assume you go to a normal highschool and say its less than 5% of the class. Enjoy impressing them, alienation everyone else, and getting a shitty grade in the process.

Anyway, going to join in on what I'd bring in, because you're dieing to know.

Metal - Turisas' Rasputin Cover, or a cheesy fun folk song about booze
Jazz/Blues - Miles Davis, Freddy the Freeloader
neofolk - Neun Welton, Valg
Ambient - Helios, Dragonfly Across an Ancient Sky
Post-rock - Explosions in the Sky, The Birth and Death of the Day.

I'm not saying you should be ashamed of liking metal, but don't shove it down everyone's throat. I mean, if your class doesn't like metal, they aren't going to wake up and see how great it is cause of you. If anything, they will just act extra stubborn for being forced to listen to the 4th metal song in a row, and dislike it even more, and resent you for it.

Put some fucking effort into your work, go and listen to some new music.
Check out the Non-metal music thread, tons of youtube links posted in there to new stuff.

Oh what the fuck...no wait no need to back lash sense i took everyone's adivce.

Metal: unanimated-in the darkness of light
Folk: Peter, Paul, and Mary- Have you been locked up for justice?
Bluegrass/Country: A willie nelson song that i've yet to pick.
Techno: optimus crime- TrendKiller
Classical(Baroque): A Compilation of Bach songs

Realizing the points in what you guys said, i changed my list of genres and picked the songs, please tell me what you think now.

Well, I have heard of none of the artists on your list except Bach :lol: but at least you're on the right way now. Basically, just choose the songs you like most.