I'm selling original kayo Dot and motw album artwork - look here!

I sent you another email concerning this ^ idea. sounds excellent to me as long as you dont have to sell those beautiful originals. i didnt like the idea in the first place, but woe if they were to fall in wrong hands.

rachmiel said:
toby. here's a public suggestion for you. you should do another solo record, or perhaps an ep. you could definitely find a label to do it. do something simple and lo-fi, that you can record in your bedroom. maybe just you and a guitar. it's still going to have your own strange stamp on it. and mastering will make it sound better.
unless you are having massive writers block, why not?

you can always do this yourself too, and do limited cd-rs.

but i do think you should do another solo release on a label. go look for one if they havent approached you yet. i dont have enough spare money to do a release for you myself.

This would rule! You could always release Kittysong...

Go lookup and bid on the used rubber from renowned KD member Ryan McGuire on eBay while its still fresh and usable for insemination. NO RESERVE!!!

I actually have e-mailed Toby about this, but a friend of mine has been bothering him for months about buying a print of the Library Loft original cover art (not the digitally worked-over version).

If you don't have startup money, couldn't you take pre-orders? Even ten $20 pre-orders will get you enough money to print $200 worth of posters, eh? Sell the prints hand-numbered and signed, and for anyone who pre-orders give them a little extra on theirs, like a five-second doodle to further unique-ize their copy. Ship 'em in tubes, not folded, and you have a nice collector's item suitable for framing.

and that pricing was just an example, I imagine if you want to make the printing process really nice you could charge more and less if you just make them more poster-like.

OK I think I'll try that - the preoreders/prints thing. One problem with that is that so many of these pictures are elemental that they don't really look good by themselves, and the artifact nature of them as originals is what would have made them desirable? maybe?
at least Library Loft ("Heels Will Never Help Mia Escape"), the choirs cover, and the 8-panel goblins thing i think can stand alone... but that's it. It might be enough though.

I just don't see you making more than a few hundred dollars off the whole lot at this point, and I think that they are more valuable than a month's rent which will be gone in...a month. I may be underestimating the economic power of the fanbase that would appreciate these things as artifacts (as they should be appreciated). If you're getting offers of $200+ for each item I apologize for my misunderestimatization.

I think the real loss would be the originals to you, as I hope the economic hardship would pass soon enough. You could charge a solid $20+ for signed or original (doodled, numbered, etc.) prints and a few of us could spread it around that the prints are a limited time only thing for those willing to help a young composer out or the like. I'd also love for the artwork cdrs to happen (I'd personally throw a bit of money into them) but that does have its drawbacks I suppose.

Oh man, do you guys remember when there was an idea for a limited edition songbook for maudlin or kayo? Like, it would be a score of each album with artwork done by toby and tabs. I can't remember the exact details, but If Toby got a chance to make a master copy and then makes prints, they could go for an easy $50 I would say. A score of CotE would be an awesome investment to most.

FuSoYa said:
OK I think I'll try that - the preoreders/prints thing. One problem with that is that so many of these pictures are elemental that they don't really look good by themselves, and the artifact nature of them as originals is what would have made them desirable? maybe?
at least Library Loft ("Heels Will Never Help Mia Escape"), the choirs cover, and the 8-panel goblins thing i think can stand alone... but that's it. It might be enough though.

Don't you realize how crazy fans are? Even if they seem like little doodles are non-solitary statements, too some people they may be amazing pieces of art. I think the Bath cover is one of the most interesting drawings I've ever seen and too be able to have a nice copy of it too frame on my wall would be a great deal. Especially if it was only 20$. I'm interested for one, and I'm sure others would be too. Plus you wouldn't have to press that many and those you don't sell you could take on tour.

MIDAS.GIF

Oh my goodness, what about recording 60 Metonymies? You already have it worked completely out and all it would require is getting together with Mia, recording and mastering. You could even do it as just a home recording to avoid studio costs, making it pretty personal.

Yeah... that's not really all I want to do with that thing though. I was hoping to do it in 5.1 - have the duet as the stereo mix and then an ensemble in the other speakers, so that it could be listened to either way. In any case, to start that ball rolling, she gets back May 29th, then we have to rehearse it, record it as a demo, send it out to try and get label support, then IF that happens record it for real. But my rent is due May 31st, so my situation is more urgent than to rely on releasing any music as an option. That's another reason why prints might just take too long to solve my immediate issue. Anyway I'm going to think more about this for a few days...