I'm starting to lose my love for my Vader

Dec 13, 2007
I've been thinking about just getting a normal 4x12 as of late. I like the Vader but I want to try out other things and the plain ol' tolex cab is beginning to look like a decent idea. Only issue is I'm not really sure what I want. Not a huge fan of V30s as they don't sound too great with a JSX. I need something high powered (I don't need breakup), with good low mids, something a bit dark to counterbalance the amp's brightness, and I'm not sure on the whole standard vs. oversized thing. I'm thinking I don't need an oversized cab because the Vader seems to get a bit too big sounding for it's own good. Suggestions? I need something that works in both the studio and live, the Vader's only good for live.

Amp: FJA Modded JSX w/6550 tubes.

Oh..and one more thing. I noticed the JSX cab runs as 16 Ohm, any difference between an amp running at 16 and an amp running a 8?

Have you have a look at a plain ole marshall? They are generally pretty good as 4x12s go, either than or Mesa if you're all about the low mids.

16 ohm resistance speakers = more current require to drive them than 8 ohm speakers.

I'm not 100%, but I'll presume that 16ohm speakers won't be as "loud" as 8 ohms due to the higher resistance.

Not read this link but.. Google maybe your friend; http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Electronics/OhmsAmpsandSpeakers.html

I was thinking Mesa although I wasn't sure. Any real difference in the Stiletto versus the Recto cabs?

The Recto cab has a little more low end, whereas the Stiletto has a little 'stuffier' or 'boxy' sounding mids.

I think they're both great, but as stated before, most people prefer the Recto cabs.

I'd look into one of those or a Marshall cab. Play both and see what you like because they're both very different.

Anyone have any experience with the Basson 300 watt cabs? I hear they record well and it may be what I'm after. Honestly it'd be nice to find an Eminence loaded cab that records well, or at least some Eminence speakers that are known to be studio worthy.

Anyone have any experience with the Basson 300 watt cabs? I hear they record well and it may be what I'm after. Honestly it'd be nice to find an Eminence loaded cab that records well, or at least some Eminence speakers that are known to be studio worthy.

Yes (which is why I mentioned these cabs above). I had a Mesa Oversize with V30s, and a Basson cab. I A/B'd the cabs back and forth for about a week during band rehersal (but never recorded with either) I honestly state the difference was very very small, if even noticeable when using them live/loud.

I have a small endorsement with Basson I should say, so I have a very slight bias.