iMac 20" quality

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
In the last 2 months I had big problems with my pc so I decided to buy a Mac.
Yesterday I found a iMac 20" 2.4Ghz 320Gb 1Gb ram (I'll buy 4Gb) for 899€....but I found also a big amount of negative opinion regarding the shitty quality of the 20" display: light issues (bottom darker than top), artefacts here and there when you move the windows, etc etc...
Does anyone of you have an iMac 20" aluminium? How do you work with it?

Thanks..

I don't know dude. I never even considered using my iMac for my main rig. I use it for the internet, PS, building web sites, some games, editing sounds, building ideas and general everyday use. Hopefully someone will chime in who does use it for recording.

To get a good answers you should outline your intention & List your gear. Good Luck.

if you get the configuration that is one step up, 2008 version that ships with 2 gb of 800mz ram and has a better graphics card also has
here is a link: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTE3MDM

its the second 20 " imac and is definitely worth the money for the better graphics card, faster processor and more ram!!!!

i am actually planing on getting one real soon!!!! my 17 " 2006 imac runs logic flawlessly with 2.0 ghz processor and 2gb of ram.

go for it man!!!!

And probably there are some issues with the new firewire chip also (shitty chip instead the old good texas instruments)...
I looked for a mac pro.....but it's a little expensive at the moment...I don't have a big studio so it should be useless :\

Seems to me the absence of PCI slots would be a hindrance.

no doubt. i would go for a macpro, but its too much money for me to justify spending at this point in my engineering "career". those resources could be better spent on software, effects and plugins and trying different types of mics. also, i could not justify spending thousands on plugs with dsp cards at this point in my quest for knowledge.

I happen to have just bought the same iMac, and now that they've updated Pro Tools to work with the new OS, I have had no problems at all recording with it. I have noticed that the colors on the monitor play tricks on my eyes sometimes (I think on this one the top is darker than the bottom), but it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Yeah, on mine the color is true throughout... It's a flat screen so you need to be positioned correctly in front of it.