Help convince me to go Mac...

on the desktop mac pros it auto-detects, but on the laptops it defaults to cas5, due to an inherent lack of variation in the available laptop ram.

Its upping the FSB that brings the goodies for me. After paying taxes I'll treat myself on a new i7. Orchestrastuff on one machine in realtime... Dream coming true..

Synth I presume?

Samplers. The i7 -due to its new memorycontroller- can run enormous amounts of samplevoices at the lowest latencies. a Conductor in front of an orchestra will hear the instruments later then me playing behind my Kurzweil with headphones on. :loco:

Finaly we're getting back on track, can't wait to get my i7 next year too

...with SSD's... :headbang:

I even put a gamecard back in, forgot to say I love that too (but just a wee bit too much, so I took it out this summer). :lol:

Does anyone know the latencyfigures of PTHD? My mixset does 23 samples, but I settle for the 48 the i7 will bring. Less than a millisec, should be good for realtime monitoring.

I am anxious to see the performance increases in the Mac Pro with the i7.

If they follow the same route, you'll get two i7's (Xeon 5570). Will cost a lot, but run like hell. They blow everything out of the water right now, AMD can't compete with 4 (quad) cpu's!

Shame you can't overclock them on a serverboard, a standard 2.8 ghz i7 can reach 4Ghz on air...:kickass:

If they follow the same route, you'll get two i7's (Xeon 5570). Will cost a lot, but run like hell. They blow everything out of the water right now, AMD can't compete with 4 (quad) cpu's!

Shame you can't overclock them on a serverboard, a standard 2.8 ghz i7 can reach 4Ghz on air...:kickass:

:headbang::headbang: indeed.

sort of back on topic...

Last time I got RAM for my mac I got it from Crucial but just out of curiosity, is Kingston any good?

Kingston is "bang for the buck".
They're not really "high-end", but they are decent and cheap as hell(They used to be #1 though.).

Mac has some nice build quality and design features, there are reputed stablility in the system that is better..I find Safari on Windows to be rather buggy myself sometimes compared to Firefox or Opera, but that is a minor complaint.

If you want to break into Mac..I certainly cannot justify any of their pricing unless it is significantly reduced.

Personally...I'm thinking I'll go a route of a slightly older Gen2 dual intel 2.0 G5 tower...slightly used. granted its not a macbook or laptop design.

The base build performance should still be there for most everything one will need and require of it - it won't cost 2-3-4 grand but more closer to a realistic 5,6,7 hundred and may even have a few decent upgrades or capacity to upgrade the video and ram at the very least.

Well still nothing on what the PowerPC G5 mac guys intend to do when finally faced with a new computer purchase...

The thread has slipped - I actually thought we might have some insight, a true understanding of the strange quasi religious "it just works" mac stance. What we seem to have ended up with is mac guys aren't interested in keeping up to date with tech developments on what is perceived as Windows hardware, even though it's all x86 hardware nowadays since the death of PowerPC and that as far as OS goes (which is a small part really cos i get into Pro Tools as fast as possible and do my work in Pro Tools ) that some think OSX is better than XP cos of an ability to surf pron without a virus checker, and like i said i am writing this on a PS3... Oh shit i have an Xbox 360 too is that treason ?:)

....cough... splutterr..

*sober again*

Anyone here using loads of VSTi's on their Macs?

I switched from pc to mac last year. BES THING I EVER DONE!!!!!!!!!
I worked with this shitty amd fuck, and all my systems broke after one year. So I wanted something stabil, great in perfomance and nice looking. I took one month for looking and decided to switch to mac.
I looked at the dell online-shop. the real PRO laptops cost more than a macbook pro. So dont tell me that macs are too expencive.
It´s not only about the cpu, ram and the harddrive. It´s alot about the mainboard!!! You can get a shitty mainboard for 40€ with firewire, usb 2.0 and so on and you can get a mainboard with the same specs for 400€.

You have no virus for mac, you have no strange problems, you have no power lost after some time because of strange windows shit....

OSX is based on unix so its based on LOGIC. Windows is based on Bill gates idea of making something outstanding. But it never worked.

I worked with this shitty amd fuck, and all my systems broke after one year. So I wanted something stabil, great in perfomance and nice looking. I took one month for looking and decided to switch to mac.
I looked at the dell online-shop. the real PRO laptops cost more than a macbook pro. So dont tell me that macs are too expencive.
It´s not only about the cpu, ram and the harddrive. It´s alot about the mainboard!!! You can get a shitty mainboard for 40€ with firewire, usb 2.0 and so on and you can get a mainboard with the same specs for 400€.

You have no virus for mac, you have no strange problems, you have no power lost after some time because of strange windows shit....

OSX is based on unix so its based on LOGIC. Windows is based on Bill gates idea of making something outstanding. But it never worked.

that's me 3 years ago

I would NEVER buy a stock laptop for audiowork. If I had to, it would be an old mac. But better:

http://www.adkproaudio.com/laptop2.cfm

At work they got these Avid-approved laptops. Those are nasty. Nvidia quadro build in, stuff like that.

AMD runs with bogus chipsets, nice for Word and Net, but serious work..

You would have made a huge upgrade just switching to intel. ;)
AMD is for kids who play counter strike on their glow-in-the-dark machines. :lol:

Oh, and laptops are expensive as hell, but if you build a "workstation", its like half the price of a similar mac(Might be a little bit more, but still much cheaper.).

But i still like chocolate cakes with sprinkles and whipped cream. :oops:

other than the totally unavoidable on any system AD/DA latency, 2-3ms approx, none.

I measured my Mixrig plugged in N4 as an outboard FXrack. Its 23 samples (best case) Adat-in/out. Calculations do take some time, though very little in DSPcode.