Help convince me to go Mac...

$90 for a PCI FW card, you gotta be shittin' me! :zombie:

Buy an Agere, its standard in Macbooks now. Don't listen to Digidesign.

Firewire isn't build for audio. Chipfabs cut corners on the specs designing it only for occasional external HD use.

ADS doesn't.

I always make a dual-boot, one for internet and stuff and one DAWpartition without networking, onboard audio, things like that. My DAWpartition is barenaked, only running audiostuff. That's mainly the whole secret, keep it lean and clean, switch off everything you don't need and put your card in the right slot.

Cheers. I've heard much about the merits of dual-booting, but I've yet to do it myself. I suppose I like the simplicity of running a singular OS. I have been meaning to give Vista a shot for standard gaming/media/internet purposes, and dual booting with XP for audio stuff might just be the ticket.

Nice call on having an external HDD running RAID 1. Since the 2TB ones are so cheap these days there's basically no excuse, for sure.

bah, just re-read your post.... you said 23 samples, not milliseconds... lol.

some guys here will say, "ha, i get nearly that on my native system".... and i won't doubt them.... when they're tracking one track at a time. try it with 24 or more though. mine won't change. native system users still can't say that... and won't be able to for some years to come, if ever.... though i'll readily concede the gap has shrunk it the last couple years... and it may, if Moore's rule stands up, become negligible in 2 or 3.

Actually, I can track 24 inputs at 32 samples (yes, samples) with my RME HDSP 9652 in SAW. ...what really cool is I can also mix a full live show with that latency in SAC (using a whole whack of plugins, as needed), the companion live program. ...Got my first gig with it on the 18th!

Mind you, that's bleeding-edge assembly language stuff nobody has heard of.

Yes, I love RME and their crazy German efficiency. Been tracking overdubs with my Multiface at 32 samps also. Haven't had a chance to put into practice just how many tracks it can do simultaneously, but I imagine if the CPU plays nice, it will go the full 18 in.

Yes, I love RME and their crazy German efficiency. Been tracking overdubs with my Multiface at 32 samps also. Haven't had a chance to put into practice just how many tracks it can do simultaneously, but I imagine if the CPU plays nice, it will go the full 18 in.

One standard 16/44 audiotrack is about 100kb/s. For us all the magic goes in these tiny drips of data, considering modern memory can do 32Gb/s..

We're so close to overkill in native DAWland.. :)

Running RME (HDSPe) here too. For the last 8 years or so. Great cards.