Immersion Music method anyone?

nialldoran

Jun 11, 2010
Belfast, N.Ireland
Hey, yeah i was wondering if anyone has ever taken a stab at the immersion music method? me and my friend have agreed to do this tomorow, its guna be an intense day i tell you that,

for those of you who dont know what it is, basically you set aside one day with no prior appointments or anything you and your friend(s) wake up in your own house at a certain time and aim to record 20 songs in 12 hours, at which pooint you meet up at the end of the day and play each other your work,

its all about quantity not quality, and its apparently a good way to overcome writers block, as you arent able to take your self too seriously, or worry about what others will think of your music etc etc, also no mixing is really allowed, just set up a template in your DAW before hand with the max amount of tracks you could possibly use and go nuts,

it plays on the fact that within the last few hours of the twelve you get more creative as you get more tired and such, which explains why i always want to play guitar at like 4 in the morning,

anyone ever done it , or known someone who has?

yeah you should check it out, its a bizarre idea you can read all about it at their Immersion Composition Society Site or there is a book called the frustrated songwriters handbook which is all about this idea too,

im really excited about trying it, god knows what ill come out with,

this sounds like a cool idea. i've been dealing with some writer's block lately so I think I will try it soon

yeah i was supposed to be doing it today but we both slept in cause of hangovers, monday we are going to do it, the whole thing is based on "healthy peer pressure" where you have to write only thinking about impressing or making the guy(s) your meeting at the end of the 12 hours laugh, if you are over thinking a song and how people may react, trash and make it a joke,

im so pumped to do this but id have to not be hungover, think ill definatly post a few tracks on tuesday and see what some people think :D:D:D

ok fiinished this a few hours ago and the other guy just left my house where we listened to everything back, i did the full 12 hours and it wasnt as intense as i expected it to be, except for finishing the last song on time, althogether i wrote 14 songs, many are absolute laughers, we were both literally in tears at points,

i covered alot of ground from acoustic music to crazy songs about gravy with distorted vocals and a few hard rock tracks, and a grind track that nearly destroyed my voice haha,

anyone wants to hear anything ill dropbox it :)