12. Urgent Need To Kill
13. All That You Fear

Label: Osmose Productions
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.impnaz.com/
GRADE:
7.5/10

The latest from IMPALED NAZARENE sees the band at a crossroads of sorts. Their first release since the death of guitarist Somnium, All That You Fear continues in the direction of their last release, Absence Of War Does Not Mean Peace. It's quite melodic at times, still very much punk at others, and yet even more brutal and thrashy at the very same time. This is arguably the band's finest hour, an opinion I think even people who previously either disliked the band or didn't care about them will agree with.

The album begins with a blood curdling scream before blazing into the first track, a standard IMPALED NAZARENE track by every sense of the word. High speed and very punkish, it's not until the second and more importantly, third track, that a newfound sense of melody and more old school approach take effect. "The Endless War" is quite possibly the best song IMPALED NAZARENE have ever written, switching tempos effortlessly, coming across like a cross between IRON MAIDEN and MOTORHEAD. Most certainly a career highlight, if you ask me. And if you're reading this review, then you are asking me, mofo!

"The Maggot Crusher" is a blasting beast, with the NAZARENE still sounding better than they have in years. The double bass pounds, as it should, and the fading guitars at the end give everything a death metal feel. There are a couple of other really stellar moments, like "Suffer In Silence" (an excellent guitar melody as the song fades out), "Goat Seeds Of Doom" (with it's wicked SLAYEResque riffs), and the title track. I love the bells that lead off the song and the way the riffs and the drums completely in sync.

Lyrically, we are treated to such words of wisdom as, "I shall mark my path, with dead angel bodies, and cut out their rectums and keep them as souvenirs." Yay!! Honestly, I've never thought much of them lyrically, as most of theirs are just plain silly. I mean, c'mon, this is a band whom has seemingly obsessed over angel rectums for quite some time.

That aside, All That You Fear is an excellent slab of metal and one that if you've steered clear of the band up to this point, now would be a very appropriate time to go back and check 'em out.

PJ