Impetuous Ritual

the Slipknot of Death Metal

hahah, ok that was a good one, but I think these guys have a very unique formula. definitely original as fuck.
I predict big things for them if they figure out where to take this madness.

hahah, ok that was a good one, but I think these guys have a very unique formula. definitely original as fuck.
I predict big things for them if they figure out where to take this madness.
It's hard for me to even comment, as I don't get what they're doing musically. To me, they seem like a gimmick band. Granted, it's a cool gimmick. But is their music actually all that exceptional?

By the way... their lyrics, which I can only assume are meant to be clever, are awful.

No wonder you don't like them. To me, both Hail of Bullets and Blood Red Throne are sterile death metal, like cut and paste riffs.

It just feels like something is missing.

yeah, traditional song structures :lol:

but all in all I am not a big fan of cacophony either, but some bands manage to pull it off well and make it interesting.

No wonder you don't like them.
Well, I'm not sure I don't like X because I like Y. I'm fairly certain I don't like X because of what X is. Portal's music offers a wide array of things to dislike. It's largely an undecipherable wall of sound. Now, I appreciate that the ambiance of such an approach has appeal to some people. However, I'm someone who needs at least the charred remains of a song structure.

To me, both Hail of Bullets and Blood Red Throne are sterile death metal, like cut and paste riffs.
Well, they're not reinventing the wheel, that's for sure. However, if I only listened to revolutionary bands, I'd have a very small CD collection. That said, most Death Metal has a somewhat sterile feel to it for me, including the bands I like. It's a genre built on a single emotion. In that sense, it's a very unique genre, even to Metal. And because it essentially lives and breathes within the confines of a single emotion, it tends to always sound sterile.

It's all good. Portal needs less fans not more, otherwise they won't be cool anymore.

It's all good. Portal needs less fans not more, otherwise they won't be cool anymore.

I know you're joking, but it's really sad, the state of music now. Way too much concern with shit like that, especially from message board communities.

Really? I find today's metal fan pretty open minded. You should have grown up in the 80's. Especially during the NYHC era.

Really? I find today's metal fan pretty open minded.
I think more so in Europe... not surprisingly. For instance, I can't tell you how musicians I've spoken with, who during interviews have told me one of their favorite bands is Disturbed. Yet... there's almost no love for Disturbed in the "Metal scene". Another example of this is Lamb of God. I continue to maintain, that if they were a bunch of long haired Swedes, they get a ton more street cred in the "Metal scene".

What metal scene are you talking about? Lamb of God is loved
Mostly, I'm talking about the Metal folks I interact with; mostly folks on the net. Both here, and the ProgPower forum, where I spend the majority of my music/net time, LoG is largely regarded as NuMetal, a designation which in among Metal fans is akin to a scarlet letter.

I've never heard Lamb of God being regarded as Nu Metal, not even on the boards I go to. They are generally considered a boring thrash/metalcore band.

I think more so in Europe... not surprisingly. For instance, I can't tell you how musicians I've spoken with, who during interviews have told me one of their favorite bands is Disturbed. Yet... there's almost no love for Disturbed in the "Metal scene". Another example of this is Lamb of God. I continue to maintain, that if they were a bunch of long haired Swedes, they get a ton more street cred in the "Metal scene".

i gotta say i respectfully disagree with this entire post

the equivalent of lamb of god as swedes is the haunted, and their credibility is nearly zero